Work Boat Mold Question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by apprentices, Apr 26, 2014.

1. apprentices

apprentices Yacht Building

I am needing to build a mold for a fiber glass work boat. I haven't seen much on how to build a mold. Are there any companies out there that will build molds for you? If I have to build it my self what information is out there to help me?

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yes, there are plenty of people who build moulds.

There are quite a few threads in this forum about it.

There are heaps of youtube videos on mould building. search "boat mold making" in youtube

eg.

3. adam_designer

adam_designer Junior Member

summing up

In General, There is 2 method is mold construction that I used to work with.

1. Using Plug or exact model made from cnc or sectional building. This would make your mold very accurate but also expensive. and then from this plug, you bulking laminate to make strong mold.

2. One Off female mold. Directly making Female mold, its mean you make it from assembled sections and than make skin from ply wood. because of limited working position, the final construction may not accurate as design, this is very easy to build, but you need to have sectional drawing to make sectional frame. Actually you can use this kind of mold many times depending on your care on it.

pics says thousand words:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

below is deck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the finished boat:

[​IMG]

the initial design
    [​IMG]

I once involved in making 60 meter carbon fiber-trimaran mold using same techniques.Repat SAME TECHNIQUES.

I dont have step to step pictures As I used to be careless person. but you could get plenty information just try to goole it "making one off female mold"

4. adam_designer

adam_designer Junior Member

I am sorry for the big picture size. forgot to shrink it a bit.