mild steel vs HTS

Discussion in 'Materials' started by idham58, May 24, 2011.

1. idham58

idham58 Junior Member

hello,
    i'm newcomer..

just wanna to ask about the material..

between mild steel and HTS, HTS is highly resistant corrosion than mild steel.

if we have basis hip which the steel weight is around 1200 tonnes by using the HTS..

with the same design of hull and superstructure, how do i can use this data as to get the steel weight if the chosen material is mild steel grade A?

as i understood.. it need to do a scantling calculation to get the thickness of the plate..

but it seemed too tough... i'm just want to estimate only..

can somebody help me?

thanks

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

3. idham58

idham58 Junior Member

ok thanks for the valuable info.. then, how about the estimation on steel weight? (with only using the basis ship of 12000 tonnes of stainless steel hull)

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You'll have to design it, one with HTS and the other normal mild steel. Then you'll know the difference.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.