Looking for a designer or blueprints

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by rico, Apr 29, 2005.

1. rico

rico Junior Member

Hello all, I already posted this to the design forum but since I am new and don't know any better, I will post this here also since there seems to be more people here. I also intend to be a frequent visitor. I am based out of the beautiful westcoast of Canada.
    I wish to build a 20' to 22' boat out of aluminum. I'm looking for some blueprints or if there is someone there who can point me in the right
    direction, please help me to do so. I would like it mainly for fishing in freshwater and in the saltwater, but I wish to use it of other recreational activities on the lake with the kids. I would like it to have a smaller cuddy cabin equipped with a port-o-pottie. Can anyone help me out? I have worked with aluminum for many years so I can fabricate pretty much anything if I have good blueprints and plans in front of me.
    Thank you.
    Rico

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I'd start by setting out some specific requirements for what you want, such as:
    -Conditions it can handle (what size of waves, wind, etc do you boat in?)
    -What you use it for (how many people? how long are your trips?)
    -Speed (displacement? low-speed planing? goes-like-stink?)
    -Size (you say 20-22ft, but there's about a 6-fold weight difference between an open 20ft skiff and a big 22ft cuddy cruiser- define your needs in more detail)
    And so on....
    Once you have a good list of what you NEED, then you can go through and start adding things you WANT. Since you're building it yourself, out of aluminum, you can start with just a hull and add things as you find you want them.
    Now, with your needs and wants clearly in hand....
    There's a few suppliers of plans in the Directory on here. My own boat (built 4 years ago) is a Bolger/Payson design ( http://instantboats.com/ ); also try Glen-L ( http://glen-l.com/ ). Most plans that are designed for plywood construction can also be built in aluminum, even if the designer hasn't considered this. Bear in mind that you may need to add extra reinforcing to the hull bottom as an aluminum boat is a lot heavier than a plywood one and will likely see rougher seas.
    Good luck on your quest, Rico :)

3. rico

rico Junior Member

Thank you for your post. Some good points to think about. Thanks for the help with the sites for plans.
    Rico

4. ARGO

ARGO Junior Member

Have you found your plans yet?

5. rico

rico Junior Member

Nope, I have just figured out how to use the internet and I have just started seeing some so I am slowly sifting through them to see if there is something I which appeals to me. Thanks,
    Rico

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.