New to boatbuilding, so I have a question.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by blacksmith64, Aug 5, 2014.

1. blacksmith64

blacksmith64 New Member

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good set of plans to make a Viking style boat?
    There is one online, but I sent the guy the money months ago, and havent recieved any replies to my emails.

So, since that seems to have been money thrown away, I'd like to find out from you good folk if you knew of any.

Two of us are planning on building it (canoe size or a little bit bigger) and we have decent woodworking skills but no experience building boats.

Thanks in advance!

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

That would be mighty tender without a good load to settle her....

Try Ian Oughtred... he has a couple that have been designed to look similar, although not as tender, and John Welsford is working on one also. I am too... but that is currently for my own consumption.

4. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Who was supposed to provide the plans? Maybe there is hope.
    Someone here may know him and be able to provide insight into any issues he may be having.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum BlackSmith.

There are a few different types of "Viking" boat, which are you interested in? Do you really want one of these boats or are you really interested in something that looks the part, but has some modern material and build techniques incorporated into it, if just to makes things easier to do?

If you want a traditional "long boat" or whatever, then there are several sources for these types of plans, but be warned, this is a very difficult way to build a boat and it'll leak like a bottomless bucket. On the other hand, if you want a skinny double ender, with some traditional "flourishes" to give it the Viking look, well you'd have hundreds of options, from dozens of designers. With these you can add the aesthetic modifications to make the look complete, knowing you'll have a safe, dry boat, that just happens to look like a Viking ship.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Vikings didn't know the saw. All the wood is either split or carved with axes, adzes and hatchets. The planks where sewn/lashed to the frames, so there were protruding pieces with a hole drilled, left when carving out the plank for the lashing. The Gokstad is a ceremonial ship and not typical of a trading or rading type.

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

According to this info, the vikings built the shell first

"The clinkered Viking ships stands in strong contast to the carvel method where strakes are fastened onto a skeleton of ribs. The Vikings did it quite opposite, following a shell-first sequence, laying the keel first, then adding strakes and fitting the internal timbers as the last stage"

http://home.online.no/~joeolavl/viking/norse-shipbuilding.htm

This was a particularly interesting site

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/norse_ships.htm

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.