Modified 1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by AuxiliaryComms, Apr 5, 2008.

1. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

I'm about to take ownership of a modified 1959 Seafair Sedan, can anyone give me any information about the boats?

This particular boat was modified by the current owner to be a Coast Guard Auxiliary Patrol Boat and that is the use I will be restoring it for (actually part of the purchase price). The modifications that were made include a fiberglass hardtop, foam flotation under the deck (which raised the deck 6 inches), additional fuel (described as capped PVC tubes) and a towing post in the stern. There are some other small modifications but I don't think they are anything structurally or functionally important to the boat.

She needs a lot of clean up. But is not as bad as some boats I've seen. Trim will need to be replaced and the fiberglass is dull and faded so I'm assuming I need to repaint or re-gel the entire thing.

She is currently paired with an Evinrude 88 but that is likely scrap from what I've been told (I've got a thread going for the motor).

The real fun is going to come out of the fact that I'm entirely new to boating and boat restoration :D . I'm fairly certain I'm a nut but I'm excited and I'm sure the membership here will prove invaluable.

I plan on refitting the cabin (it's just been used as storage). I know I will need to replace some windows. I want to remove and possible redo the hardtop (to make it convertible). I am going to take out the tow post as it exists now and put a bench seat in the stern with a remove-able tow post through the center. I may also be pulling up the cockpit sole and replacing the foam (it has apparently soaked up some water and it gradually sat lower in the water and needed more power). The trailer may be a complete from scratch rebuild to add to that.

That said can you recommend any other forums that specifically tackle restoration?

Wish me luck and I'll post pictures from day one.

2. roscozen

roscozen New Member

just now joined this forum and saw your old post. i also have a seafair sedan same year. how'd it go w/yours?

3. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

Unfortunately I've never been able to get the money to start it. She's still sat there in about the same condition.

4. popschmitt

popschmitt New Member

seafair sedan

I have recently started refurbishing what I believe is a 1959 seafair sedan inboard outboard. the motor and stern drive are of later vintage.My biggest challenge is putting the interior back as I can find no interior pix of the I/O configuration....any suggestion?...I have shots of outboard configuration but I am sure that they are not the same....Thanks...Jim:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.