Dont fall overboard

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

H A R N E S S E S

Attached Files:

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Be yer a fiver. Ive lived here a long time and oh its so hot at the moment its probably a suicide.

When it comes back ille post it.

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

even if the skipper got fed up with someone on board :confused:

6. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

7. masalai

masalai masalai

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Frankly, having looked at a lot of reports of accidents of this type over the years, there are a multitude of ways this could have happened, There are simply not enough details in these news reports to make any kind of a judgement. This could have been anything from a simple slip and fall, to having been pushed. Falling overboard is one of the commonest reasons for boating fatalities. The rule is "stay in the boat", and I am not being sarcastic when saying that. I am sure the local authorities will do some sort of investigation. How thorough? Your guess is as good as anyone's.

A very sad situation. She will probably never be found.

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I heard friends have their boats out looking, having given up the local authorities.

There are many deserted islands in the vicinity that you could get to, and it is full moon at the moment too with strong tides.

10. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

this tread make me think; how many people on boats have been murdered or simply chucked overboard when becoming a big nuisance and the incidents recorded as missing at sea or suicides? Especially when only two were on-board and the "survivor" tells a story to cover his arse.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its a perfect murder, Im not saying this thread subject is mind you but throwing someone over the side in shark infested waters is a perfect murder.

Almost as good as throwing a body over the mere 6 foot wall at the crocodile farm we have here, Ive seen the other side,--- whoa-- it would take seconds to be devoured.

Treading water In tropical seas with hot sun dehydration would be in just hours and death would be welcome.

12. Ike

Ike Senior Member

More than is realized but a lot fewer than you might imagine. In 1976 through 79 my job was reviewing USCG boating accident fatality investigations for completeness and to raise any questions that hadn't been answered, by the investigator. I was amazed at how many " they just disappeared" accidents there were. Now, usually these were at night, a person alone on watch, someone fell overboard, that sort of thing. But occasionally one would pique my interest and I would refer it to the local police to find out more information. I know of one that resulted in a conviction for murder.

So it does happen. But those accidents were all confined to 6 of the US states. I imagine if you started looking worldwide you could find more. The big problem, of course, is proving anything.

13. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

It's very common, happens on my boat all the time.

Who wants to go sailing?!?!

All joking aside, open zipper panted bodies with alcohol in them (the bodies) are more common than not, unfortunately.

-Tom

14. Ike

Ike Senior Member

That's the common scenario.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Finding an elderly acohol soaked body in the marina with one arm round the swim ladder is common too.

What happened is pretty obvious, done it myself.

I was so drunk once I knocked over one of the marina berth supply boxes and it stopped me from going in. I realized this was very dangerous and hit the floor and did not try to get up until the wife found me and hosed me down for 30 minutes till I woke up and I could stand.

Very very dangerous.

Thing is I had just ridden my motorbike home and for some reason just hit me.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.