New thread...in the middle of my scow build.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lewisboats, Apr 13, 2010.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Probably 200% more... you would want to widen it a bit too...and add a bit more depth to the sides...so a 250% increase in difficulty and effort. It would be harder to handle...require more trailer, twice the sail size and heavier rigging and on...and on...

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Don't change a thing. It is perfect like it is.

3. lewisboats

Sorry....gonna change this! I was shown this picture of a Lug yard ring a while ago and I said I was gonna make one for mine...so I did!

This picture:

[​IMG]

Mine:

[​IMG]

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I lost track of this thread somewhere down the line.

Thanks for resurrecting it; It gave me the chance to go back to the beginning again, and enjoy it end to end.

The only problem is that it makes me antsy; I should be building something.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I like that arrangement.

6. lewisboats

Just exactly what I said when I saw it. My parrel(l?)s always seem to bind going either way...

Being as my mast is square...which might change...I am considering leathering the ring to give some scuff protection. Whether I just glue it on, wrap it or sew it on will depend on what kind of leather scrap I can come up with and my ambition level when I tackle it.

Me too! I have a half finished little boat from 2 years ago sitting in my dining room, wood to start 2 others and no time to do anything on anything.

7. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

Great pics Lewis!
    very informative and clear,
    nice job too, quite an unusual/unique boat really.
    very cool, I hope we get to see more pics of it one the
    water as you go along.

8. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Lament, lament. I feel your pain.:(

How do you like the balance lug rig? I am planning to use it on my next build. How does it compare to other rigs you've used. Ease of rigging... Ease of use.... Ree(eee!)fing....:D

Have you read Michael Storrer's pages on the GIS rig? Good reads. Here is the link if you haven't.

http://www.storerboatplans.com/GIS/GISRigging.html

It looks like you exporing the balance lug in some of your other designs.

9. lewisboats

Reefing??? what's that?... My usual system of depowering consists of placing the sail and the mast firmly into the water after taking a deep breath :D . As far as ease of rigging goes... it is about to get a lot easier. Threading the mast through the parrel and then getting it into the step with the sail all over the place, the boom catching everything and the sail flopping around in the wind is a PITA. This hook should simplify things immensely.
    I like the way it performs...it pulls like a team of oxen. It may not be the most weatherly of rigs but it does ok. I expect if I put a better purchase on the downhaul and got the luff tighter I could gain a few degrees. I plan on doing that this summer. Last year I had to land down wind after fighting for 45 minutes to gain maybe a 100 yards. I had just dumped it and spent an hour getting it back into usable condition and I didn't want to go too far out into the middle of the lake (waves were pretty bad as the wind had a good fetch down the river). I was tired and wet and rather peeved that I had to get help just to bail the boat and get it floating properly again. This year I am adding a deck and air chamber aft to reduce the cockpit size and gain a bit more flooded freeboard. With luck I will be able to climb in and bail from inside the cockpit. I also am going to use beach balls in the cubbies by the daggerboard case to put in some extra flotation.

10. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I can certainly see the benefit in stepping the mast independent of the sail(s). I personally would be leary of an open hook at the yard. Hoisted and under tension shouldn't be a problem, but while hoisting, I'd hate for the thing to fly loose. Maybe, I'm being overly conservative.

I envision my boom attachment at a simple line attached to the boom forward, run aft, looped around the mast, run farther aft and cleated/tied off. The loop will allow the boom to "roll" around the mast as needed depending on tack and point direction. Theoretically.:rolleyes: I hadn't thought about a downhaul, so incorporating that component might change things.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.