how big is trailerable?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by martinf, Nov 16, 2007.

1. martinf

martinf Junior Member

I'm designing/modifying an old push tug (yep, the Sea Mule that I keep asking questions about elsewhere) into a house boat and am wondering about maximum width and weight in regards to building a trailer for it'

The hull width is 6.5' at the base and 40' long. I need to add some hull width up higher by the deck (the hull w/o my adding a house is 8' high) to make it more stable as well as widen the real estate for my house width a bit.

So, I'm thinking about the trailer that I'll need to build. The finished boat will weigh about 9-10 ton, so most likely I'll do 3 axles, though I'd sure prefer 2.

In my state, Washington, max width is 8.5' though lowboys can trailer anything 12' w/o pilot cars.

Putting aside what the boat needs to be for design stability, what do you all think is my max, both in width and weight, for still pulling off being able to trailer this thing down to the lake from my house. The legal issues are less important to me than the practical limits since it's only 5 miles to the lake and rural the whole way.
    Ideas, concerns, all appreciated.
    ~martin

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

two truck axles are fine, as for traler design , well how long is a piece of string?
    you need an old truck with air, and air on trailer with maxi brake pods this is quite a major eng exercise I once saw a home made low boy stle on I5, the gooseneck had broken , the trailer was in two

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The legal limit in most states, including over size permits is 10'. Eight foot six inches is maximum (in most states) before requiring permits.

Practical considerations are usually height related more so then width. Typical over passes are going to be in the 12' 6" to 13' range. Most street lights will also be around 15', though can dip down to 13'.

5 tons of rolling weight is doable, though your tow vehicle will get real pissed off, unless it's a full size duelly.

Width maximums from a practical stand point, especially with 40' plus length, can make turns an event.

You could always have fold up side decks (say 18" to 24" on each side), which would provide you the additional deck space afloat, but keep you within practical and legal limitations over the road.

4. Sternwheel Rat

Sternwheel Rat Slow Boater

Martin, you're right, 102" max width, 52' max trailer length, 80K gross weight, IF you want to pull it down any Interstate in the Country, on a regular basis. BUT, if you just want to get it from your house down to the water, 5 miles, one time, then the sky's the limit! Determined only by the route!
    If, however, you intend to pull it back and forth regularly, then it all depends on the tow vehicle. BIG truck, permits available up to 60 tons, and size is determined by the route. MEDIUM truck, 15 tons shouldn't be a problem unless you live on top of the mountain. SMALL truck, 10 tons-maybe, if you don't have too much grade.
    Two axles should be enough for 10-12 tons, IF they are heavy duty, not used bass boat axles, and brakes shoud be considered. Try to find the balance point of the finished boat, and then place your axles so that you don't have TOO much tounge weight.
    Like I said, I'm not sure if this will be a weekly, monthly, or annual event. If I were using MY truck, and MY trailer, pulling MY boat, only going 5 miles, I would'nt worry about the legal aspect and build what I want!
    A simple rail trailer would work, since it will only be used for this boat. Build the trailer to fit whatever the boat turns out to be! Neck design will be determined by the TOW vehicle, bumper hitch, goose neck, 5th wheel, whatever. Build it wide, for stability, with the axles and the rails or I-beams as far to the outside as possible.
    Don't worry about taking up the whole road, just let someone ride out in front, to shoo' folks out of the way!
    Hope that's more help than rambling, it's late.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

6. masalai

masalai masalai

With Frosty there.......Whaaaat???

A boat goes on the water. A trailer on roads. A plane in the air. Don't get their rightful places confused. The compromises needed to make them fit where they were not designed to be will not be totally pleasing or safe.

7. Sternwheel Rat

Sternwheel Rat Slow Boater

Sorry for the confusion, I know where the boat is going.
    What I meant by the numbers is, that is the maximum size allowed by the U.S., D.O.T. on American Highways without a permit, so no worries about the law! (damn)
    I followed that up with "the sky's the limit"
    Did I get anything else wrong? I've done it before!

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Nah Sternwheel,
    My day for apologising. I stirred too vigorously & got in the middle of a shark feeding frenzy (the action not the people)

Back to marine stuff has anyone seen it happen? A regular spectacle of the north western coast of West Australia when the 'bait-fish' swarm inshore making dense schools of takeaway fast-food

9. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Swarm/School

I've seen this a few times on Florida USA coast. Once went into a school with snorkle. It looked like a wall of fish, in 8 feet of water, all going North (Clockwise school). About 100 feet in diameter. Fish about 8 to 12 inches long (Grouper?)
    I cautiously got close, moved inside the school. They just parted and swam on each side of me and kept with the school.

Wish I had a video of that!

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Ahhhh terry, I wouldn't swim with the lot I am talking about for the sharks come charging in and everything and anything gets bitten (even other sharks). Then the dolphins gather in a bunch & force off the sharks, when their rule is settled & the sharks gone elsewhere the dolphins seem to round up the baitfish then go under blowing bubbles then WHACK in go several to get a mouthful then the process repeats.

The sharks are individual attackers & bite on ANYTHING, whilst the dolphins seem to work co-operatively for the fast food takeways

11. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

5 miles from your home to the water? Just one time move?
    It can be any size you need it to be! Light houses, taverns & houses are moved.
    Build the boat you need first, then move it to it's final home.

If you are going to be moving this boat regularly, then everyone else's advice is applicable.

12. martinf

martinf Junior Member

I WILL be moving it back and forth this 5 miles pretty regularly from home to the boat ramp. So, here's the question condensed:
    A boat 40' long, 6.5' at hull base (so trailer wheels still get under the 8.5' max), and 8.5' wide at the deck, weighing in at 10 ton and about 11' high. Is this realistic? I know that it's possible--I moved a 96,000 lb 37 ft high cable shovel--but, I'm just seeking opinions from the experienced crowd.
    Thanks for any and all.
    ~martin

13. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

They trailer shrimp boats here in the Gulf (short hauls) at about the same figures you are talking.
    I had a houseboat, 42' X 12' X 11' moved recently They added a 4th axle to the trailer,
    A "home boy" usually gets a break when doing this kind of thing anyway. Unless something breaks & he stops traffic. I'm assuming you have no overhead lines or bridges, etc. to worry about. As for width, I'd go 10' or better. A 40' boat only 8+ wide sounds skinny & disproportioned to me.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.