Boat design assistance/freelancer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Cosgroveangelos, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Cosgroveangelos

Cosgroveangelos New Member

greetings to all forum members,

I have a question and I would love if I could get some answers from the professionals of this forum. I have a specific boat shape in mind for some time now. more of a styling approach to the boat (shapes etc) without taking into consideration hydrodynamics etc

What I want to ask , is , if I do the design of a boat for everything above the designed waterline , could a yacht designer/naval architect do the design of the wetted surface below the waterline? (I would provide the estimated weight , hull type (planning hull),and other specifics like intended use etc). would this be a feasible design process?

The designer would get paid of course. I am asking if this is a feasible idea, in order to provide me with a boat I love aesthetically.

If the answer is yes, do you guys know of any professionals that tackle jobs like this ?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

One way to start a project is to draw a preliminary General Arrangement. So what you want to do, it is not unreasonable.
    Typically, start with a statement of requirements (SOR) and GA.

3. Cosgroveangelos

I would like to thank you for such a quick reply. I will start with a statement of requirements and general arrangement and even provide the designer with a side view and top view with the waterline drawn,and even draw the Cross sectional areas at areas that have a geometry change in cad files. I will basically draw the boat above the waterline and will need the designer to "attach"/"draw"the below the waterline hull and make it a boat :). a proper one at least.

4. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

What if you have put all the heavy stuff on starboard side and all the light stuff on the port side - what kind of (below waterline) hull do you want the NA to design?

It would have to be a collaboration and iterative process. You can't just add the functional aspect of naval architecture to a styling created in isolation.

All above is speculation by a hobbyist who is a visual designer but not a NA.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Instead of bothering with all this contrivance, why don't you simply buy a set of plans, that have the hull features you'd like and change the aesthetic aspects above the LWL, keeping an eye on the weights and gear locations, so you don't screw up the balance too much.

I mention this because this is a fairly common request of designers and NA's and most don't want to touch someone else's efforts, professional or novice alike. This is because we all have our own way of approaching things and would have some issues, about the why someone else has come to conclusions and decisions about common concerns.

Can you post a sketch of what you have in mind and the basic dimensions you're looking for?

6. Cosgroveangelos

that's why I am seeking/will seek the help of a professional engineer. I gave the wrong impression that the designer will not be able to make changes he deems necessary. I just don't want to change the overall looks or basic lines. the drawings will be a guide line or a tool that I use to convey my idea of beautiful to the professional. if he needs to make changes by all means he will be able to do it. I will just give him my design (it will be my boat after all ) and make that a boat.

I am a mechanical engineer with long exposure with sail boats and boats in general , and I do understand that every engineer ..with his field. currently my work revolves around grp part fabrications. I want to build my own boat as a hobby. the plans on the market I know of do not fit my idea of beautifull that's why I would like to spend my time building something I find 100% pleasing.

7. Cosgroveangelos

and yes, I have searched the net for plans for years now (2-3) and even bought three sets of plans. All are kept in the cupboard though cause I decided in the end that I didn't want to spend the next 4-5 years building something I wasn't 100% pleased with

Mr par I will be able to post a pdf file of what I have in mind in the next two days when its completed (or even cad if it suits better). i would never ask foe a designer to slap a hull bottom on my design. i gave that impression and it was not what i meant. he could use the lines or general shape of what i want to start a design from scratch if it suited him (keeping my aesthetics in mind of course)

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

In my opinion what you ask is entirely reasonable. Perhaps I have not been lucky but I've never managed to sell one of my designs. I've always had to project the boats according to what the customer wanted, boats custom-made, often starting with a drawing of the superstructure handmade.
    It is always cheaper to buy an existing design but if you want something different than what's on the market any designer should be able to. And as things stand I do not think anyone give up that job, if he feels able to. In my opinion, you are quite right, you design the profile and the superstructure and the technician to the hull. It is an interactive process, as has already been said, but totally normal. You'll need to change things as well as the technician, both adapting to what the other is capable of achieving.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

As a rule, you would work out the aesthetic aspects, as the design evolved through the conceptual stage and a GA. With this in hand, the designer will try to employ the styling clues you desire, with the other SOR related requirements and work up the details.

I still think this is a much more costly way to do things, if all you're interested in is a general use pleasure craft of some type. Essentially, this becomes a custom, new pleasure boat design, which given the availability of stock plan types, seems unnecessary. If on the other hand, if your SOR is sufficiently different or odd enough, your needs may very well warrant a full up custom design (pleasure or other wise). This is why I asked for you to further define your needs, as at this point we don't have a clue what your needs are - power, sail, commercial, pleasure, specific requirements, etc. We don't need a drawing so much, as a general idea what you're after.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.