Steel boat bilge drain

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by paulhennig, Dec 6, 2012.

1. paulhennig

paulhennig New Member

I have a steel 37' schooner. When I haul out I would like to have a drain to empty the bilge. Could I get by with a 3/8' hole tapped into the 1/4' steel hull. Is this the way to do it? Thanks Guys, Paul

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

A three eights inch fastener needs three eights inch steel.

Ive never in thirty years of working with metal boats seen a drain as you describe.

A garboard drain ?

Sound like poor practice for many reasons .

3. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Usually a skin fitting is fitted through to the hull above the waterline for this. Best to have this skin fitting above the heeled waterline.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I dont like it.

Bilge drains on steel yachts are massively constructed ,flanged with blind fasteners set into helicoils and gasketed . Even then they are high maintnece.

Any fastening with its thread showing in the bilge will be trouble.

If you are concerned about standing bilge water, its better to correctly shape your bilge with cement or Chocfast, seat a bilge pump in the molded form then triggger it with a level sensor.

Attached Files:

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Wynand has it and so he should being a steel boat builder. Over the heeled water line is absolute or it will fill up again when heeled.

Why put stuff under the water line anyway. KIS You could use a riser an go higher than the fitting.

A nice 2 inch bronze fitting polished with a coat of lacquer. You can adapt any size with reducers for your pipe.

Carefully look both sides before drilling the pilot and drill from inside out if ribs are near.

Ive seen some with bilge pumps outlet in the cockpit so you can see when its pumping. You will need a cockpit drain of course.

Wait a minute though ----he means he wants to drain the boat dry,-- on the hard he wants to drill a hole and drain it??? I think?

Mop and sponge with bucket dont drill holes.

7. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

8. paulhennig

paulhennig New Member

Thanks Guys, That is just what I needed to know. My previous boats were all wood so this is a whole new technology. Paul

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.