Outrigger Tacking Proa Update

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by BobBill, Oct 26, 2016.

1. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Well, the project is nigh finished, if a sailboat is ever finished. This is sort of an update, but fresh, as the other threads have gone too long to continue.

Refresh...boat is sort of a mix of White's Dragonfly, and Willison's once popular Malibu Outrigger, using recycled Hobie Cat 18 port hull and Hobie Cat 16 Starboard hull.

The akas or beams are 4-inch 6061 T6 AL tube, as is the stubby mast.

The yard is both carbon and light AL, with 6061 T6 lower section and recycled surfer carbon top end, sleeved with carbon and glass. 26 feet OA.

The boom is short 24 inche, T6 section plus recycled two section wind surfer carbon spar. 17 feet OA.

Single rudder on main port hull (vaca).

New 220 square foot loose-footed sail. Hook and loop luff to hang on spar.

The pics show rig on street. This boat is seventh or eighth I have rebuilt, but first where most rigging etc had to be designed and installed, as opposed to established one design refit. I must admit, rigging is painstakingly tricky and requires constant redoing...and one reason why project has taken longer than expected.

Boat originally planned to be stay-less, but the good advice here led to adding stays. I was unaware the Hobie 18 hull was so flimsy as to not be able to take stresses imposed by unstayed rig.

Stays are still wire, but I employed Amsteel at deck level using Clamcleats for easy snugging etc and less custom wire swaging etc. The Amsteel is a wonder.

As you may note, there is a motor mount, for electric trolling motor to move in restricted harbor area and channels. (Have yet to use harbor, just beach.)

One pic second and top shows intricate goose neck and one the eye on lower boom piece failed and caused two/three week delay.

The eye was supposed to be rated 3000 lb fitting which failed, so I reverted to original design for the MO's two-part goose neck, below, to maintain strength...two part as yard and boom are set to function separately as sail is a semi-crab claw used by original Malibu Outrigger from original plans, which I acquired and used.

The delay included refining order for SS components, having welded locally...I live in small community...

I did not take pics of boat underway as I forgot, too busy.

Plan to maybe build foam outrigger, to replace H-16 hull...incidentally, the boat tracks and tacks perfectly probably due to asymmetrical h-16 hull and slightly longer rudder, but idea of lighter outrigger gnaws at me. Have not decided.

The upper pic is goose neck my version and lower the round item is section equal to stubby mast of T6, with OD 3.25 and .125 wall (1/8-inch) wall. Revamp is below...all SS at spars. The SS band is just anal me, in case the monel rivets began to loosen...

As noted, all experimental fly by seat of pants rigging. The SS gooseneck is formidable, indeed.

Also, the T6 and carbon spars disassemble, and joined with wood dowel much like carbon fish rod and carbon and metal remain separate. Spars flex as planned...but we have not sailed in much pressure over 10 knot breezes...not wishing to break everything at once, you get my drift.

You will note absence of deck planks...want to use actual 1 inch thick per plans and have to special order at mills across river here, so last item on list and tramp worked in meantime. Also, the long mahogany rail starboard, will likely be moved to port side...another not so sure...old Chris Craft salvage seeing new life with carbon backing to stiffen...quite pretty and matches rudder, which is under water...duh!

First day out on small lake (intentional location) the plug material I used to fill H-16 rudder fitting holes in stern must have come out, and outrigger hull took on 50% water...so had to quit early...part of the busy stuff. Boat sailed with drag, but slower.

Rest seems to be fine, save some refinements to rigging needed and messing with the outrigger or ama with foam version...somehow.

BTW. First pic is boat without aka extensions in place. Last pic shows the extension inserted into akas with back rest beam also. The extension are removed to keep within road width restrictions.

Attached Files:

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Cool, looking forwarding to seeing your pics sailing.

3. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Merci!

Will be spring, however.

Turning cold here and need wrap for winter and put away.

If am ambitious and still kicking, will have it ready to take to FL, after a few get the kinks out outings here. Port Richey and maybe some inland lakes north, even Panama City area...maybe with light outrigger.

Already chomping at the bit, but snow is on the way...

4. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

By the way, if not obvious, any ideas regarding foam ama will be received with gracious vigor!

5. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

You never know...was suggested I build foam asymmetric hull like Hobie and attach it to Hobie deck...interesting idea.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.