Need a design advice!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kulizaio, Mar 3, 2008.

1. kulizaio

kulizaio New Member

Hi,
    My name is Nick and this is my first post here.
    You can say I am pretty much an amateur or newbie into boats, but they have become a passion over the last year.
    There is a beggining for everything I guess!
    However!
    The point is that I want to build my own boat and I don't know where to start from.
    I know that:
    1) It must be wooden ( that is the material I am comfortable to work with )!
    2) The rig should be easy to be handled by one!
    3) Must be light and fast ( prefer speed than comfort )!
    4) Must be able to sail offshore!
    5) Must be large 16 - 20 meters (52'-65').

I am open for suggestions of any kind. But the most I need is a good design.
    Please share your knowledge, about designs, designers, plans and everything I can look into.
    Thank you.
    Edit/Delete Message

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

kulixaio,
    Nick my friend,

I will accept that you are for real, a 16 to 20 metre project would be way too much to start off with, seriously.

There is sooooo much to learn, and building a boat this big is not the place to start learning.

How much do you expect that a boat this size would cost to get into the water, I can assure you it will be over $500K, so if you have that sort of money, spend a bit of it wisely and hire a pro boatbuilder, that has been checked out first, to assist you understand a bit about the game.

If you still have the urge to throw a lot of money into a boat, then make something smaller for the first boat, it can be sold for a profit anyhow, and you will be on a very straight learning curve doing this. If it all goes belly up, you will not have thrown away a life's fortune. Make a 20 footer, it will have all the essentials of a "real" boat, but without the expense.

You will learn about design, construction, fitout, engineering, electricals, sanitation systems, rigging and sailing , all in one little package.

There are plenty of performance designs there if you want a flyer, look at the local club racers, see what designs are winning in your area, have a yap to some of the guys that are coming home 3rd to 6th place, chances are they will talk to you for hours on end and most likely take you for a sail with them if you treat them right from the start.

Do not try to do such a big boat to start with....it will only lead to failure I am sorry, but it is the truth.

1 person likes this.
  3. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

Nick,
    I know what you're saying. I became addicted to boats about 15 years ago. Having already received a master's degree in finance, it was too damn late to become an architect.

About your project aspirations: everyone is giving away boats right now. If you start with a restoration project, your learning curve can take more of a natural, upward slope. Find a used boat that closely matches your inspiration and rebuild and renovate every inch. When finished you will have a very nice vessel, will have lost much less money and will have a better idea of your perfect boat.

Fifteen years ago, I thought my dream sportfishing boat was a 35' Bertram. Now I snicker as that top heavy junker goes by a swingin' like a see-saw. Since then I have learned so much - like hull flex ruining gearboxes, glasswork and handling in big seas - but still don't know a damned thing.

Tony in Sw FL

4. kulizaio

kulizaio New Member

Thank you!

Thank you both Landlubber and
    juiceclark. How was this about the turkey....No matter how delicious it looks you can't just swallow it...Have to eat it bite after bite....
    Yea... I understand that and I intend to start with much smaller thing than a 20 footer. Actually I am starting a couple of projects next week a canoe and a chesapeake kayak. I have to become a master in the wood and I will. The time is not a factor - I have all the time in the world.
    The thing wich scares me a bit is that wherever I see a nice modern design larger than 50' is allways built out from everething but wood!
    Isn't it possible to find a nice contemporary boat made of wood?????
    And if it's not then why?
    What is that wrong with the wood, so nobody builds form it?
    I've been looking for months and the only large, good looking yacht I found was desined Bruce Roberts in late 70's?!?
    Comments?

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

6. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

7. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Juiceclark,

It's my understanding that cold moulded boats, built with epoxy and then covered with glass cloth are very unappealing to marine borers. Otherwise North Carolina boat builders like http://www.jarrettbay.com/construction/index.php and others such as http://www.sculleyboatbuilders.com/about.html would be out of business, let alone http://www.vicemyacht.com/

I think that the Chris Craft is very desirable, but the RCD http://www.ceproof.com/Marine/marinehome.htm would make its transfer to Europe too costly. Re-engined as a Thames cruiser might work, but the http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com/site/Home_1.asp would still make the refit rather pricey, which is a pity. :eek:

Pericles

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.