Houseboat electrical system verification

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rsimon, Nov 19, 2012.

1. rsimon

rsimon Junior Member

I'm working on the conceptualization phase for the electrical system for my houseboat project. I'm studying John C. Payne's book "Understanding Boat Wiring" and have come up with a basic layout with likely loads and panel locations. I'm having a hard time finding anyone in my area who knows about wiring for a houseboat (as opposed to let's say a pontoon boat or smaller fishing boat.) Can anyone give me a contact who can look over my plans or if anyone is also delving into this so we can compare notes.
    I'm in the Central Florida area. I appreciate it. Rog

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm in central Florida and can easily handle your wiring needs, be this advise, design, inspection or the actual work.

A typical houseboat will have two systems at least, 12 VDC and 120 VAC. If she's a real houseboat, and it's tied up to a dock 99% of the time, you'll be using a shore power system most of the time, unless you want some redundancy, generation or other accommodation to the vessel's needs.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.