Seamanship?

Discussion in 'Stability' started by valvebounce, Sep 17, 2012.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

Hi,I was recently fishing at anchor on a friends boat,the tide changed and it got very lumpy,we shipped anchor and headed back to port.The boat was a 15ft seahog with a cathedral hull,and 60hp outboard.We ran beam on to the tide and swells.I personally thought this was a bit dangerous.I have not owned my own boat before the one I have at present,[which isn't in the water yet.]My understanding was never to run beam on,and to run with a following sea,or bow on.
    Is there a rule of thumb on this?
    We were fishing 200yds offshore,and had a 3mile trip across a bay to get back to port.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It depends on how steep the sea is. Trust me, you'll know when you're in seas too steep for running a beam on course. The boat will roll badly, you'll constantly be playing "catch up" with the helm trying to keep the boat heading the way you want. Once you get into a situation like this, your best action is to veer off a bit and tack back a forth so you can take the waves on a more favorable angle.

3. valvebounce

Thanks PAR,

I had a feeling that would be the answer,better to be safe than sad.

I will be using the boat across the mouth of the river Dee in North wales which is great for bass in the sandbars.The river has been used as a dumping ground by the dredgers from the Mersey for years.It has shallowed the river,and caused the tide to rip in and out very quickly,so I expect I will
    experience the situation I described on a regular basis.
    Kind regards
    V

4. paulfish

paulfish paulfish

You might also consider running slightly off course as above to keep the boat more with the bow into the waves. They may lay down a little as you get closer to shore and the depth drops. This is also a good trick to use with wind caused waves espaecially when they're bow on as you run home. Get closer to the land mass which will block the wind a bit. Just watch your depth,use your charts.

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Every wave can be different than the last. You'll know when things aren't "right", there will be this horrible feeling in your stomach. Keep a good look-out and expect the unexpected. A last moment helm correction can make all the difference.

Good boating,

6. valvebounce

Thanks P
    Great bit of advice,I'll definately use it.
    Best regards V

7. valvebounce

Thanks ST,
    Great advice,the sea is obviously not an aspect which is black and white,skill and experience and constant observation are required.Nice to find out in advance before I am faced with it.
    Best regards V

8. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

I operate an 18-ft cathedral hull and have for 25 years. I can assure you that running the troughs in large beam seas can quite often be the best course to take.

Further, running directly with higher sea state seas can increase the risk of being flooded from astern by an overtaking wave.

The larger point being that different conditions require different approached to helming and adhering to a small and rigid set of "rules" does not work. Time and practice...

9. valvebounce

Thanks BMcF, you certainly have made a point to bear in mind.My boat is a converted 13ft speedboat,1960's. the hull is a conventional shape.[not cathedral]
    PAR suggested I convert the transom from a short shaft to a long shaft because of the conditions of a following sea.I have replaced the transom.
    Like you say,it's a learning curve.
    Best rgards V

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't spec anything but long shafts any more, just because the 5" difference isn't enough to make any boat odd looking. Even very small outboard boats, usually have a notch cutout, which doesn't have to be there and the higher freeboard on the transom is a good thing, anyway you look at it. I just did this conversion on a 14' 8" runabout of my own. The previous cutout was 6" deep and short shaft. The new transom has a 1" cutout and a long shaft.

11. valvebounce

Hello again PAR,
    Always nice to hear from you,I cant get the picture of your runabout,tried your Plans and Blog,Did you post the pic?
    Noticed on your profile you are into Hotrods,not been near one since the early 60's in Melbourne Australia,they always fascinated me.There was an old airstrip at the back of general motors in Port Melbourne,they ran rods and sprints,awesome.I worked for GM at the time in the experimental toolroom as an apprentice.I made stainless steel megaphones for my 500cc bsa,and jetted it up,it got to 100mph faster than the Vincent black shadow.My problem was braking before I hit the hurricane fencing at the end of the strip.[that gives my age away] The 57 Chevy was still being used there at the time.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.