New requierments for boats over 20ft.

Discussion in 'Stability' started by dougfrolich, Jul 16, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Has anyone taken into account the obesity of the nation and people are twice as heavy as they used to be so only half the number should be used for a boat that used to carry 6 now should only carry 3 or 2 and a Mcdoanlds hamper !!
    there need to be a fat tax !! people over weight should have to pay more to travel they take up two seats instead of one .
    Here in china westeners take up 3 seats but i see thats changing pretty rapidly as well as the amount of tubby little chinese is increasinga at an alarming rate!!.
    In the 30 months i been here i am amazed at how many fat chinese i see every day when i am out and about . They only travel in really big boats and big cars and big buses and carry a 2 days supply of snacks for a 2 hour trip any where . :eek:

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

That would be the ideal, but it raises a few problems. The USCG wanted to post only maximum persons weight and maximum weight capacity for recreational boats but the industry raised a valid point. How do you know how much everybody weighs? Boat owners want to know how many bodies, not how much weight. This would mean having to weigh everybody and all their gear.

Same for commercial passenger vessels. You would have to weigh everything to make sure you didn't exceed the maximum weight.

So posting a number everyone can understand is better. Of course the maximum weight should also be known to the skipper so that he/she can make their own judgement.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The engineering standard for people has been recently raised from 160 to 180 pounds, with the increasing displacement of Americans being sited for the need. This kind of sucks, as I was a perfectly normal USA male until then. Now, I'm technically scrawny. At least my height is still the US average for a male.

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Same for commercial passenger vessels. You would have to weigh everything to make sure you didn't exceed the maximum weight.
    WE have to do it when we get on a plane so why not a boat !! :confused:

5. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I'm not sure what standard you're referencing. It's 185 pounds now in USCG stability regulations.
    See http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5212/aawpp.asp

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

7. pbmaise

pbmaise Senior Member

I'm against regulations that don't make sense. Are we going to put people on scales?
    There is a huge difference between passengers weighing in at 250 lbs and those that weigh 100 lbs.

To meet Singapore regulations a sailboat must have 1 meter high life lines with wires no farther than 10 cm apart. Anyone recognize building code? One trimaran in Singapore had to install 10 new bilge pumps since every compartment must have one.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thats why WE live here --im sick of regulation and the world will have to de regulate to survive --its gotten claustrophobic literally.

Singapore is a pain. I used to anchor in Changi and enjoy freedom in Spindletops and Charlies --not now. Against the law, you will be towed away -- why--what has happened some kid advisory for the marine industry.

You need a transponder to move in Sing waters. you will have to fax in a flight plan to enter from Pulau Pisang to Horsboruogh.

Regs regs frking regs. Does life get better?

9. Ike

Ike Senior Member

The latest in the ongoing saga:

Capacity limits for recreational boats called for by senator
    Examiner.com

Boating · boating safety · coast guard · Long Island · Recreational Boating · recreational boatinglaws. Advertisement. All recreational boats longer than 20 feet would have to clearly post capacity limits if new legislation passes. Sen. Chuck Schumer http://www.examiner.com/article/capacity-limits-for-recreational-boats-called-for-by-senator

Senator Schumer's Website http://www.schumer.senate.gov/Newsroom/record.cfm?id=337620

A little info on how this works for those of you not familiar with the legislative process:

From My website:
    see http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/legal2.html

If it passes, and if it is signed by the President, then the USCG has to develop a regulation. This is also a long drawn out process and can take many years. It requires publishing of a an advanced proposed notice of rulemaking, public comment, a proposed notice (revised rulemaking based on comments) more public comment, and eventually a Notice of Rulemaking.

So what I am saying here is this is not done deal by any means. It could get held up in committee (which usually happens to most legislative proposals), or killed in committee. Either the House or Senate could hold public hearings (done mostly for political affect) which sometimes seem to take forever. At any rate the process could take from a few years to many many years, or not happen at all.

But keep in mind, the final rule may look nothing like what people now have in mind. All of these rules are compromises, sometimes based on good engineering practice, but sometimes not. (the USCG is not even allowed to use that term in their regulations because it is too vague, but some other agencies such as the EPA are)

So now the race begins: Gentleman (and ladies) start your engines!

10. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

What term is the Coast Guard not allowed to use? Good engineering practice? That makes sense to me. It's too general and vague. A regulation should be clear and specific in its wording, yes?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.