New requierments for boats over 20ft.

Discussion in 'Stability' started by dougfrolich, Jul 16, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

so you missus goes down with the ship ?? My jacket is always drapped over the steering wheel with the kill switch lanyard attached to it . so even if its picked up we are going no where till the kill switch gets the peg replaced even then the Ignition switch key is usually in my pocket on my car key ring along with the battery key for the main power supply .Safety freak not at all just a system has to be followed to make it move !! if you dont know where everything is it will take a while to make the motor go .
    I have a small boat with lots power and never go over 4000 rpms with people on board ! 6400 when i am buy myself !! :D

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

My boat does not have kill switches. Ide have to walk to the back of the bridge ,go down the stairs and then get to the back of the boat before I could fall over, and to kill engines I have to go down below to the main station.

This brings a very significant point and that is generalization is misleading confusing and most times irrelevant.

The missus is rarely up on deck, either 2 floors down in the galley or knitting in the lounge.

The only time she comes up us when leaving port or entering when she hears the engines slow down and I see her appear at the bow to shout instructions at marina staff.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Are you sure its your misses and not some one elses ?? she could have sneaked on board one dark night when your motors was off !! and when ya slow down shes looking for a way off !!

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its not impossible. Ive never had women sneak on but if I did, getting off would be there priority.

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

6. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

If you take your average modern car and fill the trunk with heavy luggage and passenger compartment with 200+ lb people, you car will not brake properly or take curves with any kind of safety. Now imagine doing that on a plane or boat. Anyone that operates a machine must understand its limits. Otherwise it is population elimination. I will admit to sometimes carrying one to many but no where near this. And everyone with jacket

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Another thing people never think about when driving that is really important is wet roads! the tyres on you car loose a good percentage of there grip with water and going round corners and breaking ,traction and grip is greatlly reduced . but no one i know ever thinks about that fact !!. all modern cars have ABS braking but theres still lots older cars that dont have that technology and all 4 wheel just lock up under hard breaking and you just slide completely out of contral weeeeeee bang ! . If you have the presence of mind and a spare spit second to remember to lift you foot off the brake a little all things change rapidly as wheels begin to spin again !. :confused:
    Boats when over loaded usually are top heavy and even in a straight line are tender . so when you start to turn the weight distibution goes outwards. the tighter the turn the more the heal so if the driver isnt skilled hes a danger to everyone onboard . People sitting and standing on the upper decks forward specially have a tendancy to raise the aft end of the boat as the nose goes down this shifts the point of pivot further forward and the boat gets very tender to the wheel and wants to bow steer to the point of broaching in the right conditions then the heal and tip, if theres weigh inside the boat its naturally thrown down from the high side to the low side and all these things combined together and you have a major roll over under way .its at this point you then discover if the side windows and the big main windscreen are strong and well sealed or are they just held in with rubber round the outside and a bit of sealer here and there .when a window pops inside then you are in serious trouble and theres only one way your going and thats down !!

As kids we played in dinghys at the beach and rolled them over every few munutes and never thought much about it but instinctivly we were building in our minds a process that went to the natural reaction side of the brain .
    I spent hours swimming and rowing small boats in rough water including surfing in on the waves and broaching and getting tossed out and flipped over !! even barrel rolled up the beach,But it was all lessons and exsperiances learned at a very young age !!.

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

What is interesting is that there is no mention of any of the adult passengers commenting that the boat is/was overloaded - they are all idiots.
    I mean at what point does anybody with common sense realise that they are placing themselves in danger.
    They all followed like sheep into the wolves den.
    As kids we would pile up on a tiny canoo to sink it, I could tell you - as a 10 year old - that by the time the 6th kid climbed on, that we were going down. In those days it was great fun, but we actually learned from it - overload a boat / canoo / lilo / airmatress - tube AND IT WILL GO OVER AND SINK
    We swam naked in winter in the freezing water and learned that you cant stay in long - the willy shrinks to nothing :eek:

So bottom line - I learned to respect water long before I was 10 years old, safety first meant no nasty accidents and we are all 60 years old now and living to tell the tale.

So sorry for the harsh words - but the whole lot of them are stupid.

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I completely agree with what your have said !! every one of them were idiots and should share in the punishment when its handed out .
    Common sense is going to have to be a subject taught in all schools and all the parents will have to attend as well . One of the unis in Beijing China run courses on how to be an individual because there system dosent encourage free thinking ,its lets make a mould and make them all the same sort of a system :D

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thats right Mannie --everything has changed now but I still got a small willie

11. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Hes no longer Willy !! hes William !!!!!
    I notice the more it gets used the bigger it gets ! summer or winter !!. :D

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I assume you are speaking for yourself.

Aplogies for such a drastic subject change,-- but then wait a minute.

Willies and dick head drivers, hmmm bang on topic.

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

how true ;) I even read all the technical data and it's all great stuff, but the world cant fight against people that cant think.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Abslolutely mannie the world can not fight against people that can't drink.

15. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

I think this is the same Soundings article as the link above.....http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/521163-special-report-analysis-of-a-capsizing

I think they are making a bunch of assumptions that may or may not hold true. I considered doing this myself but was dissuaded by all the unknown info. We don't know the boat's actual displacement or trim, without an inclining we don't know the real VCG, and we don't know the load condition without weighing all the passengers and their gear, and knowing condition of the tanks. Also there were modifications to the boat including a full bimini top with curtains on the flying bridge.

All 17 adults and 7 (?) children were apparently on deck at the time of the capsize. Where on deck were they? How many are above the 185 pound average?

If the cockpit is free flooding (open scuppers) that aft bulwark (cockpit coaming) needs to be removed from the stability model. Thus the boat will trim considerably by the stern as she heels.....in the dark no one may have noticed flooding of a cockpit sole hatch.......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.