Organising a Regatta - help sought.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Capn Mud, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Capn Mud

Capn Mud Junior Member

Can anyone help with a check list of things for organising a Regatta? I have attended a few but never organised one but looking to organise a multi fleet Regatta for the Thousand Islands (north of Jakarta) in mid-November. The fleets will probably include:
    - Laser (inevitable)
    - Optimist
    - Enterprise
    - Other dinghies - Open dinghy class fleet
    - Keel boats.

I am making a list of all the things I will need to organise but want to be sure not to miss anything.

Specific questions I currently have:
    - Getting handicaps for the open dinghy class?
    - Jury - how to organise one? Do the members need any qualifications?
    - Setting courses for mixed fleets - any tips?

I will probably think of more things as my list grows.

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew

2. electriceric

electriceric Junior Member

I've participated as a volunteer in local regattas and as far as i've seen these are the things that are needed to organize a regatta:
    To start off, you will need service boats, buoys, anchors, race flags, class flags, horns, radios and crew to help you manage the race.

The simplest course is the windward/leeward course. You can plan to hold up to three races each day. Setting the distance between buoys would be determined by the wind prevailing on a given day. You'd probably want to have each race finished in 45 minutes for the slowest boat. if during the race, the wind suddenly slows down, you have to be prepared to shorten the course or even abandon the race.

hope this helps,

eric

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

My best advice would be to avoid it like the plague, what ever you do will be wrong for somebody, you'll work your selfinto a early grave and get very little thanks for it, save some smart arse want to know when your going to do it all again so he can have some more free fun!! there again I'm a cynic (but a sane one!)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.