New range of Tony Grainger Trimarans

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Tony G has put up details of a new trimaran design the TR36. A 36' performance cruising trimaran which is available in two different internal configurations open cockpit or aft double cabin. It's intended to provide some payload for cruising while still retaining good performance characteristics and as somewhat of a spiritual successor to the early Spoon Bay trimarans. It's available as plans/pre cut duflex kit or constructed to sail away stage by a professional builder. Approximate pricing for the duflex kit is 70k AUD

http://www.graingerdesigns.net/trimarans/tr36-trimaran/

2. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Nice looking boat. Labour aside what does the 70k get you?

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

My understanding from their website is it's just the bare CNC cut duflex kit in foam or balsa core with Z joins. You would still need to buy the epoxy, glass tapes etc. Tony mentioned the plans were a little over 12k I'm not sure if they are included with the kit but I would presume so. It's a platform kit so there would still be the cost of mast, sails, fittings etc. It all adds up as you know.

4. jamez

jamez Senior Member

It sure does all add up. Anyone know of one of these newer grainger tri designs in build? The 36 looks great, but the one I'm drooling the most over is the R40.

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've not heard of any of these new Grainger trimarans in build yet. The R40 was a concept drawn for Andy who ended up going with John Shuttleworth for his new racer/cruiser trimaran.

Morello was launched recently which was an earlier TR40 design beautifully built in strip plank WRC by Larry and Amy Ketten, looks awesome:

http://www.bwsailing.com/mq/sailing-on-morello-a-40-foot-tony-grainger-designed-trimaran/

Andy's Shuttleworth trimaran (under construction at Subic Bay in the Phillipines):

http://trimaranproject.blogspot.com.au/2016/08/new-shuttleworth-40-racercruiser.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.