New radical boat kitchen?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by westlawn5554X, Aug 10, 2006.

1. yipster

yipster designer

nothing wrong with inovative thinking and can see it for example as extra flybridge lift / server?
    yet i belive man ( woman ) better be centered in the kitchen / galley as vice verca
    i still like my custom made auto opening trashcan behind the sinkdoor
    on a small platform ergonomics are important

2. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Huge complete kitchen

Look at this link and see a marvelous dedicated kitchen that is part of a bigger galley. This stuff could make me a happy man.:) dutch are so fast with their thinking in design advancement.

http://www.stadtdesign.com/products/vds441.htm

Attached Files:

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

That "galley" is about the same size as the kitchen in my house! I wouldn't like to use it in anything but a flat calm sea.

Tim B.

4. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

I agree with Wilma in that most galleys in yachts are very badly designed. The main problems seems to be that working spaces are too small as she says. It's not hard to have some extra space nearby. For example, why have the chart table permanently sloped so the naviguesser has a better angle on the chart? That means it can't be used as working space. Why not have the facility to move the chart table surface to the horizontal when it's not being used for chartwork, so it can be used by the cook?

I'n not sure how the whole of the circular galley spins.....god knows there's no way I'd want a power-spun galley and certainly it's not my idea of a good layout for safety offshore. Then again, I'd hate to have a 100 foot boat.

5. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

Help me out here... I am one of those poor souls who loves boats, but have not created the world where I can spend serious time on them. I have cruised the Caribbean and the Chesapeake, and I spent my summers for 20 years on sailboats and motor boats on a 2 mile wide lake. None of this has exposed me to the wild, heeling world that so many in this thread say that open (or round;-) galleys (and free standing furniture) are such a bad idea.

I would like to hear from those who are lucky enough to have much more exposure to this world, if really so much time is spent heeling in rough weather. My gut feeling is that 98% of the human time spent on the water in boats that are large enough to have a place to cook, is not when the boat is heeling more than 20% in rough water.

What do you all think/know?

Cheers, Grant

6. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Most of the time you are not heeled in rough water. But when you spend 4 or five days under #3 and reefs or down to storm jib, and a few other days heeled to 20 degrees, you do need to be able to cook. I once went Sydney-Flinders Island (about 400miles, upwind or close reaching much of the way, under trysail and nothing else at times) with a boat with a galley that wouldn't function. Trust me, spending 3 days with nothing warm but 1 cup of coffee is not all that pleasant.

During those rare times when you are heeling 20 degrees (compared to being at anchor) you do need a sea-going galley.

Even for day passages, you still need to be able to cook at 10-20 degrees heel with the boat bouncing, unless you want thermos and sandwiches all the way. So that 2% of the time, the seaworthiness of the galley is vital IMHO

7. yipster

yipster designer

it all depends; motor, sail, seastate, location, pleasure?
    i'll say youre little less tahn 97% right :D

8. Finlander

Finlander Junior Member

I haven't read all the post here, but I assume that many indicated needing to be able to brace oneself against something. U-shaped galleys are good in that respect.

With the rotating kitchen setup, I picture my wife grabbing hold of it and spinning out of control when the boat heels!

Just kidding; I know it would have an anti-spin lock of some kind.

Seriously, I don't see how it would save much space on your average 40-footer, because it'd be difficult to fit a large cylindrical object somewhere.

It might work on a much larger vessel though.

9. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

I think this is a unique design, to fit it into a boat as such might be a problem but generally speaking aspects of it could be well used, if one had the money to use, having more perishables in view on a long passage would make sure they all used, somehow this design should be inverted to a revolving U that never stops being a U toward the user.

10. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

As you move away from the KISS principle the cost skyrockets the reliability plumments.
    A rotating kitchen on a heaving pitching rolling boat? All I see are significant problems, this sort of thing looks about as functional on a sailboat as a pool table.

IMHO

11. Finlander

Finlander Junior Member

LOL

I/we laugh at the idea, but just wait 10-years or so. These things'll come stock on the next generation of Hunters and Benneteus. Then Westlawn will be laughing at us :p

12. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Seriously, I think this idea still have a lots of holes to fill and it may really be interesting but not realistic for present time. We invented electricity without knowing the full extent of a vacumm cleaner yes?

Well, this may start people thinking the interior design as a whole and not galley restricted I hope.

Why we wear Italian suits, eat Italian food, wear Italian leather and drool at Italian fast car Sir? Well we learn that we may be far behind in general taste of things or design.

13. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

You are not studying logic then :rolleyes:

14. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Logical reply

Nop. I am studying art of marine small craft:) and gaining better taste.

15. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

You do seem to be concerned with the Aesthetics and artistic design rathre than actually making the boat work. don't get me wrong, I'm all for new thinking and super-modern interiors, but there are two issues to remember.

Firstly, If the design is too far from what people are used to you won't sell it (unless it is proven to be incredibly good).

Secondly, If it doesn't work at sea you either won't sell a second, or have a very unhappy client. Obviously, a client who can think about buying a decent size yacht can cause huge problems.

In design it's always good to consider new ideas, but it must be done with an eye to how it will be used.

Tim B.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.