New propulsion sytems for ships

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Guillermo, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

IS that a Real Picture:confused: :confused: :confused: or digital funny edited type

2. Wellydeckhand

Coconut is more expensive than CPO..........:D

3. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

You are right Welly..in Malaysia crude palm oil (CPO) is lotsa cheaper than coconut oil..especially virgin oil..you are in Riau province Welly?Any chance of getting the CPO there ?Malaysian companies do open lots of palm oil estate there..in fact bigger than our very own peninsular I heard..I mentioned coconut oil because majority of the people there have coconut trees..palm oil need big estate..with coconut they just put in the physical afford..they doesnt need to pay for it..:)

4. Wellydeckhand

If u want an estate to plant palm oil just shout I can connect u to proffesional people of the palm oil field.:):):)

Sumatra is the largest and kalimantan is growing strong...... Your choice:D:D:D

5. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Thank you Welly..what ever small holdings we have in Malaysia is good enough for us..too bad we had just clear off our rubber trees..price of rubber is the highest now..should have replanted that 5 years ago..anyway..we have no intention of expanding the plantation..We had decided to sail and see the world..:):D

6. Wellydeckhand

Cheers to that ..... send private email if u wanna talk about anything private in Indonesia business ok ........ cherio.....:D:D:D

7. kjell

kjell Senior Member

I f you like to see how it works, have a look to #6
    http://www.ornithopter.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28

8. Kiteship

Kiteship Senior Member

This is neither a "trend" nor very bloody likely. You perhaps didn't note that this ship uses *4* of these turbines, for a total of more than 225,000 hp. As gas turbines burn something like double the diesel (or more expensive kerosene, likely) that piston engines do, this leaves this ship burning something like 20 times the amount of fuel as a 25,000 hp diesel. Further, this is an 8000 ton ship--the 25,000 hp diesel typically powers a 200,000 ton ship.

So, you've got 10 times the horsepower, burning 20 times the fuel to move 1/25th the tonnage at twice the speed. And you believe there is financial sense in this equation? It is only a junior NA's pipe dream.

I've just discovered this thread. It is interesting reading, but come on, folks. Use some common sense. Large cargo ships are already some of the most efficient transport devices ever devised. Current propellers are already 85-90% efficient, "20%" increases are physically impossible--bragging about "90% efficiency" is like selling the ashtrays in your new car--it's there, but so what?. Gear boxes are already 98% efficient; "direct drive" systems aren't going to pay their way, let alone save fuel. Sloughing "polymers" isn't very likely--you're going to inject polluting hydrocarbon-based compounds into the world's oceans and call it "green"? Electrohydrodynamics have been "just around the corner" for 40 years and the US Patent office is still refusing Tom Rearden a patent as they won't patent perpetual motion.

There are very real problems in energy and especially transportation energy, but magic isn't going to do the trick. It's going to be very hard to avoid nuclear power generation, afloat and ashore, unless the best minds (some among you guys) go to work on the actual problems and possible solutions, and set the science fiction aside. (No, I'm not blowing my own horn here. Wind power has a great future in marine transport, and kites offer compelling advantages over masted sails, but wind power will be an assistive technology until petroleum prices rise much higher, rather than a prime mover)

In the meantime, thanks for a great read.

Dave

9. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Hallo kite ship.
    Is there really a kite that can tow/sail a 300tonnage ship at very reasonable cost compare to nowadays sail cost at the moment ? I had found theory and application for very small size 'boat' and the spinnaker style for bigger boat. I'am very keen to utilise this sail for our family round the world project.Sorry I'am interested only in the real product not on discussion on wether kite can sail/tow a ship.Very keen to know.

10. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

What's wrong with magik - keeps you lot going at times!!;)

11. Wellydeckhand

Witches and Wizards on holiday walrus.......... left their broom behind........ lets clean up the thread......:D:D:D

12. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Memo to Editors: Navy Christens the Advanced Electric Ship Demonstrator
    http://www.onr.navy.mil/media/article.asp?ID=97

13. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Thanks, kach22i. Most interesting.

"The AWJ-21 is designed to increase ship speed, making hulls sleeker by working without rudders, shafts and propeller struts. Unlike conventional waterjets, the system works completely underwater, reducing noise and surface wake and improving stealth"

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?newsID=3809

Anymore info on the trials of this ship?

Attached Files:

14. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Dave,
    Do you think it's feasible to use a kite as an auxiliary propulsion system for a high seas fishing trawler, 70 mts length, 3000 HP, making trips from, let's say, Galicia to Falkland islands' fishing grounds?
    (Both for the trip and for the trawling)
    Most interested in knowing about this.

15. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Cool, I was disapointed that the article I found offered no picture. It's kind of ugly, but looks to be Stealth....................special operations craft, a natural choice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.