New propulsion sytems for ships

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Guillermo, Dec 2, 2005.

1. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I hate the Giz-Magazine pop-ups and other nasties associated with the site. It's like I risk a system crash just clicking on a link to them. Other than that, I love the actual content.

3. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

I don't know what browser you are using, but I suggest you download Mozilla Firefox. Its free, works similarly to IE but with better management features. http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
    I have been using it for a couple of years and it completely eliminates popup advertising,. Personally speaking I have never seen a popup on Gizmag nor had my computer freeze!:)

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I've redone my browser settings since having the problems with that site - still shy though. Consider it a friendly warning to others.

5. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Attached Files:

6. Guillermo

Vector Prop

Somebody has info on the JaVaBa-Maritima BV (Holland) Vector-Prop system? (Rudderless, pitch-controlled, propulsion system)

7. Kiteship

Kiteship Senior Member

I'm sorry. I did not mean to ignore you Ari; my "forward responses to email" command is not working and I thought this thread died.

Do you mean to say that you have a 300 ton family yacht, or are you asking two questions; one regarding a 300 ton ship and another a family yacht?

Please define "very reasonable cost," since no sailmaker offers rigging for 300 ton ships at present. What would masts, reinforced bulkheads, ballast keel, yards, sails--all custom built--plus huge numbers of extra crewmen cost, do you suppose? We use none of this, with kites. If one includes all the costs of masted sails--or even of spinnakers on conventional yachts, kites are much, much less expensive. (remember, spinnakers require poles, struts, uphauls, downhauls, tracks, plus stoppers and extra winches--and the sail of course!)

We are currently installing kites as large as 420 sq meters on private yachts as large as 25-35 tons. We have some 70+ customers at present. I would welcome the opportunity to build and install something 2-3 times this large, and a 300 ton vessel would make a very good test bed/early adopter.

For what it is worth, no other entity on Earth has shipping kites which are even 5% as large as ours--there are many plans out there, but no shipping product.

Please, tell me more about your plans and your project?

Thanks,

Dave

8. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Send a private answer to you.

9. Guillermo

Attached Files:

10. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Rim Driven Propulsor

I must returm to this thread when I have a little more time. There are a number of diverse and interesting subjects here.

In my real quick look I did not notice a reference to the relatively new rim-driven propeller technology that is emerging as a result of the new DC electric motor technologies.
    "Interestingly it appears as though the relatively new permanent magnet electric motor technology has driven this new interest in rim-drive propulsion. From Brunvoll," the development of RDT has been triggered by market demand for an increased number of ships where both the main propulsion units and the manouevering thrusters have electric motors with variable speed drives. In this context the RDT offers a number of advantages."

I thought a cross reference of the subject threads was in order. Rim Driven Thrusters & Propulsors

11. kjell

kjell Senior Member

12. Guillermo

Hi, Kjell
    I do not know. Have to find out...

13. Guillermo

14. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

with biodiesel production, would not the pollution from phosphates offset the emissions savings?? since in order to produce the amount of fuel needed for the worlds demends, there would need to be a more massive production of crops. this in turn will create more agriculture and land clearing and then the fertilizers used will pollute the oceans and rivers ?? just a thought...
    seems like the best possibility for fuel needs though, even with the added pollution and/ or deforestation.

15. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

I guess this depends on the farming techniques used.

These are important issues which need to be discussed.

Brazil is often cited as a biofuel success story, with much of their vehicle fleet running on domestically produced ethanol. But they're cutting down the rain forest at an alarming rate to do this!

The best estimates I've seen, or at least from the sources I trust most, say that about 10% of US fuel consumption could be replaced easily by domestically produced biodiesel. Beyond this would require major changes to our agricultural system, and cause a lot of new problems.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.