New propulsion System

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by tom kane, Nov 13, 2003.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

C'mon Tom we bit hook, leader and sinker. Give us a hint

2. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Hi Gonzo,
    a quote. " My positive attitude my not solve all my problems but it will annoy enough people to make the effort worth while. " We were moving.More photos soon.Revisit Surface and Subsurface Drive all in one..Introduction,other valuable information there other than just pushing a boat around.and you can do it.
    Tom kane. a miss-use or mis-understanding? Tom Kane

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is your effort about annoying enough people?

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Tom's new propulsion system is Alka Seltzer in a container who's reaction with water is forced out of holes in the transom. If you're not ready for an announcement why the smoke blowing? I'll bet your just an ad exec. feeding out a gill net, for a product you know little of or understand anything about . . .

5. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Thank you gentlemen I love you 2. I am off to bed now see you latter.Tom Kane

6. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

"Thank you gentlemen I love you 2. I am off to bed now see you latter.Tom Kane"

Can't be an ad exec - he spells too well...

7. WillJones

WillJones Junior Member

Tom,
    The way to tell people about your idea without losing your rights to the intellectual property is to get a US "Provisional Patent". This can be done with any US patent lawyer and it is a relatively cheap process. You only have to decribe the invention precisely. Your lawyer will send your description to the US Patent Office - but it is NOT processed so there is no further cost.

Then the clock starts ticking. You will have protection for one year to sell the idea to anyone who is interested. No one can steal your baby - even outside the US. But when the year is up, you can't get a patent on it because it is considered to be in the public domain.
    Hope this helps.
    Will Jones

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Tom already put it in the public domain. The photos in the gallery section of the forum means they are published. However, that is all we get; no details, drawings or specifications. Since there is no more patent protection Tom, how about satisfying our curiousity?

9. Guest

Guest Guest

No, Gonzo. If he didn't tell us exactly what the idea is so that someone "expert in the art" (like you) could actually make one, the idea is still safe and the patent protection is still OK.
    Will Jones

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is legal precedent to the contrary. The man who invented metal "whales" for corsets lost his patent protection because they were used in public. He tested them in his cousins' corsets who wore them in public, albeit unseen, for two years. A competitor who started manufacturing the same product proved that they were used in public and were therefore in the public domain. His competitor won the lawsuit which establishes a legal precedent. Any pubication or public use puts an invention in the public realm, regardless of wether anyone understands it.

11. WillJones

WillJones Junior Member

Gonzo
    That is a whale of a story! How did the competitor get his hands on the corset, I wonder. Actually rhe provisional patent has only been available fince 1985 according to this official link.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/provapp.htm

Will Jones

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The competitor started manufacturing them after the inventor put them in the market. Also, note that the one year period starts at the moment of publication. In the USA publication and public disclosure are synonims. That means that if you talk about your invention to anyone without a non-disclosure or confidentiality agreement, it is considered a public disclosure. This only works in the US where there are more flexible patent laws than other countries. It may not allow the invention to be registered in other countries.

13. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I have some catching up to do my service provider has been down.Some interesting ideas abound.If you patent an idea the
    reason for this would be financial gain and business advantage.
    A patent would be of very little use unless a business was prepared to make use of it and keep it up to date and they would need venture capital to persue the commercial possabilities.
    I think getting patent letters granted could be the easy part
    and not even expensive.Getting the idea promoted and in front of
    possible customers can be hard.Some ideas are some times to far advanced for present markets or technology and patenting would be better left for later.tom kane

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Some ideas may be too advanced. However, you can't patent ideas, only technology or designs. There are alway markets for improved performance. Sometimes the inventor's attitude is the downfall of the invention. For example, Hickman doomed the "Sea Sled" by his control mania. On the other extreme, Bill Gates designed a technology that allowed others to piggyback on it.

15. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

At one time there was a 'white paper' that discussed the very problem of getting that 'great idea' actually utilized by the boating manufactures. I haven't visited the site in some time now so I don't know how up to date it is.

I still have a significant interest in a belt-driven prop system as I mention on my website, but have not really pursued it in quite a while. I long ago recogonized the extreme difficultly one who encounter trying to infiltrate the marine outdrive leg market, particularly in the USA.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.