Fishing/Hunting pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by bmack, Jul 2, 2007.

1. bmack

bmack Junior Member

I want to build a pontoon boat that can be broken down without much hassle and transported in my van... I am planning to fish and use it as a blind for hunting... I want it to be somewhere in the range of 8' long and 5' wide... does anyone have any ideas... what I have so far is I will get some ventilation tubes and seal and fill them with foam for the floats and make a wooden plat form to bolt to them... I will also be using a small electic motor on this... if anyone has any ways I can improve upon this or do something differently please let me know...

Thanks

Brandon

2. bmack

bmack Junior Member

Now I am thinking for the pontoons to just buy foam from HD and layer it to make it a foot thick then cut out the shape and fiberglass it... what do you guys think about this and how would i go about fiberglassing it...

Thanks

Brandon

3. inventing_man

inventing_man Junior Member

I would laminate a good stright piece of ceder for a backbone in the pontoon made of laminated foam for strength and also provides an attaching member for your deck rails and deck. . Glassing foam can be done with epoxy resin NOT fiberglass resin. FG resin will melt the foam . Epoxy is not cheep . Another option would be to Rhino line the pontoons It will protect the foam and easy to repair if needed . The repair would be to use an expanding foam in a can to fill the ding sand smooth and re apply some Rhino liner . The GOOD thing is no matter what , it wont sink. :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.