new project, a little help please!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by rodmar, Apr 22, 2008.

1. rodmar

rodmar Junior Member

hi guys.. i have decided to build my own beautiful, small sail boat... i am from mexico, i am 25 years old and i have no experience at all in boat building, or sea sailing, in fact i live in a desertic area and the closest beach or port is about a 6 hour drive jaaa! but i am familiar with plans and drawings for i own a big lathes and milling shop. my project is to copy these boat http://www.classic-boats.com/en/tofinou7.php
    i want to build it in wood, but as i said before i have no idea of what would, or sizes or prices or nothing jaaa!! could you guys help by giving me some advise of how to achive these project?

thanks to what ever help i can get!

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

what size boat are you thinking about? Small enough to car top, or to trailer? A day sailor, or something with a cabin? I suggest start with something small and simple, get both building and sailing experience, and then consider something larger.

I like working in wood myself (it is pleasant and less expensive way to build), but wood boat usually require more up keep (unless you can store it out of the weather).

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I thnk you mean "achieve this project".
    It will take at least 20k in materials and more with an engine and trailer, but yes, you can build this boat if you are mechanically inclined. Alone, part time, expect to spend a few years since what seperates you from a pro is, for one thing, the pro knows a way to make almost every phase of building go fast and you don't.
    So it will take a lot of time. By all means, build it. I'm sure it will be rewarding.

Alan

4. rodmar

rodmar Junior Member

its a metal milling shop! i know it will be hard, and above all "expensive" i had something way larger in mind but someone in this forum made me land to earth and realice that i do not have experience waht so ever in boat engineering or sailing, infact until a couple of days ago i didn´t even know the name of one single part of a boat, but i mentioned the fact that i have a milling shop because i wanted you guys to know that the only thing i need are the plans (drawings) and there is absolutley nothing i can not do. or better said, it wont be as hard or the task won´t seem so overwhelming!
    money is coming from my own pocket sooooo jajaaa it probably will take me a good while, but i am sure there must be a cheaper way to build a boat like this, afeter all, is way more simple than some of the boats that a lot of regular guys build; for starters is a day sailer with no camping acomodations. i just need the engineering to build a hull like that and to know how much weight can i put on it, and what kind of materials i could use. i would like it to be made out of wood but you guys are the ones with the know how so the call is yours! wood, fiber glass, steel or what?? besides i can find good, used, cheap engeen, sails and stuff!! but the hull i need it in great condition and what better sailor than the one who knows his boat from head to toes?? please help me out with this! i promise to upload pictures of building process and material bills so that every guy who feels the same curiosity and desire can have access to a good way to start his/her own project!!!! and remeber something else, material and handwork is waaayyyyy cheaper down here!!! so i think i just might have a nice shot! little help please!!!

Rodolfo E.

5. rodmar

rodmar Junior Member

one other thing... i said i had something much bigger in mind so io got to let you know that i till do! these 7 meter project (almost 23 feet) is just to learn to sail while i also lear the mechanics and engineering of a sailboat, so i woold like it so be pretty simple but beautiful and to finish it in less than a year, hell jajaaa to finish it in less than six months!!! i can get plywood here but i do not know if i can get marine plywood that would be a small obstacle, that and the teak wood! the mahogany will surely be expensive but i can get it here too, i must have a friend with a wood store out there jaaa! if i am asking for help here is because indeed i have neither an idea nor the experience! my family owns a seven thousand square meters warehouse (i think about 75,320 sq. feet with a lifting capacity of 80 tons. so space to build it, machines to do it, a place to store it and people to work on it, those things won´t be a problem! what i do not have is neither the engineering nor the access to any bank account to just buy one new or used (incase some one thinks about suggesting that!!!) remember it will all come out from my pocket!

6. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Rod
    You need to look around to find plans that you can buy. Here is a starting point:
    http://www.selway-fisher.com/OtherDB.htm#BALTIC

You may be able to buy plans for the boat you like but if it is a production boat they might be closely guarded.

Good plans are worth more than you pay for them relative to the time and materials you would waste if you do not select well. I am sure there are others here who could recommend plans for a boat that would suit your purposes.

Rick W.

7. rodmar

rodmar Junior Member

Mr. Willoughby,
    thank you very much!! There are very beautiful boat plans on the web page you gave me!! and i guess you are right on the materials; if you are going to spend time doing something, do it WELL!
    thank you again!

Rodolfo E.

8. rodmar

rodmar Junior Member

i need a plan for a boat that is fast and easy to sail, (not easy to learn sailing in, just easy to sail by one person!)(with not too many sails every where) i was also wondering if its to bad to add length to a sailboat plan i mean, not too much just add 1 or 1.5 meters to the stern area??? i mean makig a 23 feet out of an originally 20 feet?? is this possible? is easy? or does it have a lot of consequences? and if i buy plans for a boat with camping comodities and i decide just to build it without them to make it look more simple and sleeker and lighter does it have too much consequences??? I AM LOOKING FOR A FAST 23 FEET DAY BOAT, VERY SLEEK LOOKING WITH WOODEN FINISHES TO MAKE IT LOOK MORE CLASSIC! NO HOTEL INSIDE JAJAA, NO KITCHE, SOMETHING FLAT NO ROOF! what i mean with flat is just something like this: http://www.classic-boats.com/fr/diapos/Tof7/diapos.php
    here is another picture: http://www.classic-boats.com/fr/diapos/Tof7/diapos.php
    and yet another one: http://www.classic-boats.com/fr/diapos/Tof7/diapos.php

that is exactly what i would like to recreate!!! some thing i can sail for a day lay down, enjoy the wind or sun and head back home! any advise please?

Rodolfo E.

9. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Rod
    Before you jump in to buying plans you should get an idea of the cost to build it. I notice you said you could not afford to buy a new boat. Typically building is not a lot cheaper unless you have access to low cost materials.

A good provider of plans should have a reference list of satisfied customers. Most will be very open about their experience with the plans and the cost to build the boat. If I am paying for stock plans I would not choose a design that has not yet been built by others that could comment on the design and the detail in the plans.

A little research now can give you clear direction and the pace that you can expect to achieve if you are funding constrained. Often there are fiddly, time consuming bits that you can work on if you do not have the funds to buy all the materials at the one time.

One more point to note. I like working with wood but for boat building I prefer more durable materials typically aluminium or fibreglass. These do not age as rapidly as wood when exposed to the elements. A wooden boat requires good maintenance to retain its good looks. Ideally it should be stored under cover.

Rick W.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.