Softwood source to ship from Miami port

Discussion in 'Materials' started by xellz, Feb 26, 2019.

1. xellz

xellz Senior Member

Once windshield/roof plans and materials quota will be done for Jazz30 i want to start buying materials. I will be buying all supplies from boatbuildercentral, but they don't stock timber. Of course i tried to search suitable timber locally, but seems it will be cheaper and easier to buy from US and ship together with plywood, epoxy, fiberglass.

First would like to ask here for recommendations or advice before i start contacting for few large companies i found from google searches. Requirements from plans:
    Unless noted otherwise all timber is softwood, eg Douglas Fir, Sitka Spruce, Yellow Cedar or
    similar.
    A ll timber is "PAR", or "Planed all Round". Thus sizes given are nominal, ie 2" x 1" has a finished
    planed size of approx 45mm x 20mm. (Note: It is usually cheaper to buy wider planks, eg buy 2"
    x 1" and cut it in half to create 1" x 1").

Sizes i need in inches 1.5x1, 2x1, 3x2, 3x1, 4x2

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I know Jeff at BBC and have good knowledge about lumber.

I would recommend you ask Jeff to source it. If he says no; I'd understand. Lumber purchasing can be a massive crapshoot. You get varying species and qualities.

Narrow lumber is absolutely horrid for twist. Do NOT puchase lumber in the US for shipment to Japan that is not wider than the spec and do not purchase lumber that is not bound into a single unit.

For your needs, I strongly recommend buying 1x6 lumber and 2x6 and 2x4s. Then rip the 2x6 to 2x3. All those other sizes mobe badly even in a banded batch. And rip the materials just ahead of the work as it will remain more stable.

You could purchase the lumber from west coast of the US as well.

You might have a bit of trouble with acclimating as well. When you get the stack; do not unband it for about 2-3 weeks so it can acclimate to your local humidity.

Sorry I can't recommend a vendor. Here, I would go an hand pick it all at a local lumberyard to be sure it was straight and mostly knot free.

There might be a vendor in the PNW who is reputable for clear, vg lumber. And that may be a wiser way to go for your situation. The ocean voyage, etc. I would be a bit nervous about getting my lumber and it being too crooked to work with, so heed my advice on sourcing wider stock.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

4. xellz

xellz Senior Member

Thank you, really good advice here. The problem with japanese sources so far, they already have strong closed routes for quality timber. Most of locally grown softwood is of rather low quality, imported is often really overpriced without right connections. Last source who has large stock of almost knot free timber said that if i was buying 3-4 times the amount i need for Jazz30 i would get price cut in half. For current amount they didn't want to bother. It's not that i can't buy at all, the price is just way over the top. If sourcing from US won't work out i will have to go on a trip and check sources directly, communication in person most likely will yield lower price even in same place than asking over phone.

I have little choice but to make this work one way or another. I don't have confidence to work with other materials like foam core and asking pros to build one will be way over the budget. And i also refuse to abandon catamaran hull idea.

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Plywood will be much faster build.

About the only thing to be careful of is voids. You can purchase injection needles and the right drill bit and repair the ones that happen or grind them and fill with milled fiber and cabosil.

Be careful about the epoxy budget.

Mine is really blown due to vac bagging. You will blow Richard's number due to amateur, but use less than half of what I have.

Setup waste rates at like 20% and you'll get closer.

6. elkmaster101

elkmaster101 Junior Member

FA49C572-5BB4-468D-98CC-A203D6666265.jpeg I have bass wood 15 10 20 “ in dia and up to 30 or 40 ft lg
    Here is a picture of a cluster
    I have lots of clusters scattered thru out my property
    Yes it’s still green and uncut but check out the properties of the wood.
    If you have a place to have it milled and dried down there you would have all the boat builders nocking on your door.

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

He can't mess with wet wood being shipped across the ocean; it would mold.

8. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

9. xellz

xellz Senior Member

Thanks, i got same recommendation from Richard Woods too. I finally got the last bit of plans too, still a bit of adjustment needed, but can start ordering materials. Busy time right now, end of school year, moving to new house etc. Hope at least by the end of month can get ready list of what i need, since BOM doesn't include any wasted material. Plywood sheet count seems as needed, but timber i'm not sure, since many places will have short cut offs. And i better get all material i need in one go otherwise it will end up with quite a bit of extra cost.

10. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Yes, do not short yourself.

If you have a bit extra; perhaps you can build a dinghy. I encourage you to start a build blog on bateau.com. You will get lots of support.

I also encourage you to purchase a good level and decent laser. I spent about 150 on the level and 100 on a laser n tripod and they were my best purchases. I got angry about a week into installing bulkheads and basically quit working until those arrived.

Tacklife self leveling lasers are good. You need a long range one working outside and glasses. Inside a 50' will work if you control lighting.

Empire 48 in. Magnetic Digital Box Level-EM105.48 - The Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Empire-48-in-Magnetic-Digital-Box-Level-EM105-48/300853566?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-306839434-_-300853566-_-N

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.