165 murcruiser

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by isby, Jul 20, 2006.

1. isby

isby Junior Member

I pick this 1979 Thompson Boat up and it has been sitting for about 10 years.
    My question is how do i go about starting the engine? i did pull the plugs and spay oil down the cylinders and slowly turned the engine over by hand it seemed to trun over just fine anything else i should do?
    Thanks for any help.........
    Isby

Attached Files:

2. patdhmc

patdhmc New Member

pull off the out drive and put a hose in the hole were the water gos in the gimbal housing
    this will alow you to go through the out drive also the water pump in the out drive neds to be replaced

3. patdhmc

patdhmc New Member

you must replace the water pump in the lower half of the out drive

4. isby

isby Junior Member

Ok i was planing on doing that anyway sence it need new boats....any other suggestions?
    Isby

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Remove the exhaust riser and make sure it is not corroded. If it is, the engine will run when you first start it but will fill with water after it is stopped. Also, give it a tuneup and oil change.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.