"New Posts" count disappeared?

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by JEM, Oct 5, 2005.

1. JEM

JEM Senior Member

There used to be a line on the main forum index page that told you who many new posts were made since your last visit. I don't see it any more.

Anyone else having this issue? :?:

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Sorry about that - did not re-add it after the upgrade.

I have re-added the number of unread posts since your last visit on the top right.

Note that due to switching from cookies to database tracking of read/unread threads, yo may want to click on "Mark Read" to mark everything previous read.

3. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Here's another perspecive on that: I generally don't use the main forum page. I have my favorite forums bookmarked individually, and I just go straight to them. Now I have these little arrow boogers sticking to the page unless I go up to the main page. And I'm not sure why most people would want to mark all the forums as read at the same time anyway. I would rather have a button on each forum so I mark one forum as read, and then browse the others later. Also, as I mentioned elsewhere, I use the "Back" button a lot to get out of each thread. I like the old auto-update feature of each forum page. That cleaned out the boogers nice & quick. :p

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Before, a common complaint was that threads that people hadn't actually read were marked as read after x-number of minutes.

I'll admit, at times it was convenient to have the forum automatically consider itself read -- except when you were called away before reading everything and then could no longer see which threads you had not read. I'm not sure yet whether there is a possibility for a hybrid solution.

When viewing an individual forum, in the "Forum Tools" dropdown there is a button to "mark this forum as read" which should be helpful.

5. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Skippy: I like the old auto-update feature of each forum page.

Jeff: Before, a common complaint was that threads that people hadn't actually read were marked as read after x-number of minutes.
    I'll admit, at times it was convenient to have the forum automatically consider itself read -- ...

Did it do that? I agree with you there, that's a little arbitrary. Is that why forums I hadn't read would get marked read? I guess it must be. No, that didn't make much sense to me either.

What I liked was (a) the thread I had just backed out of would be marked read, and (b) if any new messages had been posted in that forum while I was reading, the relevant thread(s) would be marked UNread and float to the top of the page. That was triggered by going back to the thread index, not by time. So the thread index was always kept current as I read the forum.

Jeff: When viewing an individual forum, in the "Forum Tools" dropdown there is a button to "mark this forum as read" which should be helpful.
    Roger that. As usual for my system, the menu is slow. :(

6. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Not using the browser's back button does take some getting used to - with the old system I did the same, whereas with the new I click the forum name at the top or more often click the go button on the forum jump at the bottom to go back which works well.

< Death threats | Jeff: Re. new verion of _New Posts_ >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.