Dutch Sailboat With Leeboards

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DRC, Nov 13, 2005.

1. DRC

DRC New Member

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on some good line drawings with offsets or plans for some of the varous dutch boats that used leeboards. Or even better some info on their design

Thanks DRC

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Dutch Sailboats with leeboards

Send a note to Yipster - he's your man;)

3. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

Send me some more detailled specifications or a specific question and I'll see what I can do.
    There are a lot of types that fit this criteria and I don't know what you are up to.
    Regards,

Sander

4. yipster

yipster designer

only sailed a "botter" with leeboards ( and did not like it )
    bet Sander, Artois and Dutch Peter have more on this subject

5. Milan

Milan Senior Member

6. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Also try Dutch Peter. I've gotten informative replies from him.

7. DRC

DRC New Member

What Little I know Them

The only information that I havem is from a book "Sailing Craft" by Schoettle copyright 1949. Out of the 786 pages, 21 of them cover the "Yachts of the Netherlands". It has some limited information with pictures and some line drawings. It covers the Boeir, Botter, Schouw, Schokker, Hoogaars, Punter, Lemmeraak, Tjotter, and the Hengst. Some of these are mentioned only by name, no pictures etc.

If someone wants what I have I can scan it in.:rolleyes:

Because of what I have is so limited, I'am looking for more detailed info, to fill in the blank spaces in my mind.:idea:

Thanks DRC

8. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

The "Platbodem" consists of many types; Schokker, Botter, Boeier, Aak, Hoogaars all related to the different fishingvessel that once were to find on the Northsea and beyond.

There are still many around and the majority has been converted to yachts; the rest you will find on the bottom of the North Sea and IJsselmeer.

They were notorious unseaworthy when running with the wind. The low and unprtected aft made them very vulnerable to incoming waves.

I lived for about 20 years in a fishing village and I have sailed a North Sea 60 ' Pilot Botter so I speak with some experience.

I will check if I can find some pictures with a related story.

9. hateka

hateka Junior Member

Try the word 'botter and model' on google.

10. hateka

hateka Junior Member

Also try on internet 'VD 172' It gives the story of recent complete rebuild of a botter, from Volendam, Holland. It is in Dutch, but when you phone them you get your answers.

11. RCardozo

RCardozo RCardozo

I have line drawings for steel leeboards that were constructed for my 73' Tjalk. They are basically a wing. They are large and heavy. Also there was a replica sailing barge called "Idefix" built in the 90's that would probably have designs if you can track down the Architect.

12. hateka

hateka Junior Member

Dutch flatbottoms, leeboards

There is a basic difference in leeboard for undeep water and for deeper water. The'botter', and 'seascow' were fishing ships for the Ijsselmeer, waht is reletively deep. Those leeboards are longer, with a higher aspect ratio than those for undeep water, the inland lakes and canals. Pictures will show this. The long ones are better shaped, like a propellor blade, giving lift to windward. The leeboards for a botter or seascow (zeeschouw) are thicker, heavy oak, allowing to be hollowed at the pressure side, and rounded at the suction side, precisely like a ships propellor. Developed some threehundred years ago or more. The wider ones for undeep water are more flat. The steel boards, for tjalks are flat without profile for financial reasons. Wooden leeboards wer expensive and required maintenance.

13. latestarter

latestarter Senior Member

14. Tackwise

Tackwise Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.