New Plywood Floor

Discussion in 'Materials' started by grp.boat, Nov 9, 2005.

1. grp.boat

grp.boat Junior Member

hi everybody.

i am looking at putting a new plywood deck in my fibreglass boat. i was going to use birch ply as it seems to be alot flatter that most other plywoods that i can get hold of. i also can get marine and far eastern wbp, but am not quite sure which one to use. i will be fibreglassing over the ply and also i need to know whether the resin will soak into the ply enough to give me a good bond....

has anybody got any ideas which is best then????

steve

2. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Make sure the wood is made of "water proof" glue. Most birch wood you find the home stores should not be used in a boat.

Joel

3. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

1/4" Birch, sound Luan backed, Marine plywood, at $84.80 a sheet will do. M.L. Condon Co., White Plains, N.Y. Their Marine wood is Marine.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Geezzz, if 'ya all is paying 85 bucks a sheet for marine grade, faced 1/4" then I can make a killing taking your orders. I can get good quality non Douglas fir, 5 ply marine (BS 1088) for about a third of that, Douglas fur for less then a third of that.

Joel is right, in that it should be a marine grade. Your epoxy will soak in enough on any commonly available plywood. The stuff at Lowes/Depot isn't marine grade. Marine grade is more then water proof glue (all exterior panels are water proof glued) it's the species used, both inside and out and the construction restraints necessary to meet the requirements.

5. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

You sent me looking. When I asked for a small order. Marine plywood suppliers in the N E are dropping faster then flies. You are in the plywood center of the world. Big discounts are the norm. Are your Marines all equal thickness plies. Same as Aircraft plywood. Equal plies up here are not easy to find.

6. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Is a non-patched 1 side sheet available down there? --4' x 8' to---- 4' or 5' x up to 16' ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.