New Owner of a Bertram 20

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Jenerator, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

Trouty, I have talked to the owner of the yard which built my boat as well a very experianced Marine surveyer. They both have told me that Bertram sold the hull mold to this local yard under license to make Bertram 20's.

I have seen a total of 3 were I live. 2 (including mine) have one subtle differance that any other Bertram 20's I have seen.

The deck is raised from about midships forward, the canvas poles are attched to it aswell as the windshield. This is a small design change, which to me makes sense because it seems to incease the strength of the deck. I have attched a pic of what I call an original Bertram, this design matches the pictures in the ads for these boats. You can see that the windshield is acually attached right to the deck.

1298202_5.jpg

2. trouty

trouty Guest

you could

well be right jenerator. It wouldn't be uncommon for such popular craft to have been manufactured in more than one place around the world at a time under a license arrangement, I would think.

Either way - likely you have yourself a great project hull, that will have a great heritage behind it, of design.

The fact so many are still around and plying our waters - is testament probably to how many were made and how their owners valued (looked after) them.

I guess the reason for my post (if you haven't gathered already) was to point out that - when in the future hunt for 'parts' for your project...not to overlook the fact you might well get bits n pieces from old 20 ft carribean "reef runners" (was I believe the name carribean sold their own versions under, downunder!).

Like I said - theres still a heck of a lot of em around!

Best of luck with the project!

Cheers!

3. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

Trouty, thanks for the input... I will defenitly keep my eyes open.

I have visited the Bertram/Carribean website. They do have quite a few interesting parts, emblems and the like.

I agree that the boat will be a great classic once im done (is it ever done?). The hull shape is why I chose this boat for a restoration, and as you say the heritage. But those go hand in hand.

Thanks again.

4. TAB

TAB New Member

Looks good. If you repaint the interior, you should consider keeping it blue. These boats are classics, and I think there is some value to keeping them original. Post more pics as you go. Good luck.

5. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

TAB, you bring up a good point. I was thinking that i might keep it blue. I agree with you, I acually like the blue decks. I am trying to find as may original parts as I can. I have already got the deck hardware chromed and it looks sharp.

The problem I might run into though is trying to keep the exterior original, and put in brand new engine, drive, controls, electronics. I am thinking about a merc 350 MPI Horizon, but is not a cheap option.

I guess there will be some comprimise when I get to it.

6. trouty

trouty Guest

I think if it were me

I might consider setting her up for an outboard, with a transom pod.

I'm not a great fan of inboard outboard / stern drive legs - too many things always going wrong - too damned tight to get in there and fix anything and the engine box takes up so much good fishing / deck space.

Now of course - if keeping it original is your aim, then ignore everything I say.

With a OB - you suddenly have the option of eliminating the below decks fuel tanks (and inherrant danger of corroding / leaking / explosion) and can utilise that space for ice boxes / fish kill tank / live bait wells etc. The fuel can go on deck in a large red plastic tank / tanks (i.e easey to take out and clean if you have any issues with water in fuel etc).

With an OB - you can always take it off and replace / upgrade etc easily.

No it's not 'original' if you go this way...BU for a 20 ft Bert downunder - it would be a "to die for" fishing machine set up this way IMHO.

One mans trash is another mans treasure and vice versa.

Heck...a Pod / come duck board with TWIN outboards...set on hydraulic adjustable jackplates...so you can mount a swim ladder back there and walk round the back to fish clear of the OB's...and still have al that deck space..

I'd say - twin Honda 150 4 stroke v tecs....would make that baby into a rocketship...OK - a little overpowered maybe - but a rocketship....course - you'd have a lot of transom strengtheneing / bracing required because in it's current form it wasn't designed to have that sorta weight slung off the transom, and without strengthening likely you'd rip it clean out of the back...

Hmm I see some definite possibilities..

Cheers & good luck!

7. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

I have seen one with an OB conversion.

Your right it does add alot of room for fishing, etc.
    In my opinon it disrupts the lines of the boat. It does provide some practicallity, but to me the trade off is not worth it.

This boat has alot of room out back for being a open style.

Not many 20 foot boats are built in this same configuration these days, maybe none. It is not cost effective for the builders.

It can only sit max 6 people. Even with gear there is lots of room.

I think we are acually talking about usage. How you are going to use the boat. For me most of the engine hours will be cruising. I will not be fishing on this boat. My dad has a Blackfin 29... its the fishing machine.

I agree with you though, if you want a hardcore "slab slayer" a Bertram 20 would be a great platform, for the reasons you metioned. Lots of room, etc.

But for me I want to restore her, and bring out her natural lines as she was designed.

They havent been copying this hull for no reason.

8. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

And Trouty.... There is no such thing as an overpowered boat.

9. cbgimse

cbgimse New Member

New Bertram in Victoria

I just picked up a '74 Bertram 20. It is just a bare hull and I am currently rebuilding the transom. Any information provided on this could be helped. It was built locally in by Canoe Cove.

10. Jenerator

Jenerator Junior Member

Cbgimse, is your a Baha Mar or is it open? What power are you looking at? My boat was pretty much solid when I bought it, just some delam fwd of the fwd bulkhead.

11. cbgimse

cbgimse New Member

Bertram

My Bertram is a West Coast Canoe Cove. It had a hardtop and the helm was at the back mounted on the bulkhead. I am going to build a new dash and move the helm up front.

I am going to remove the hardtop as it is much too low for comfort. I guess it worked fine when there were only a couple bunks up front. Also the hull liner is different than all of the other Bertram 20's I have seen. There was a spot for a head right in a recessed cavity right at the base of the windshield in the centre of the boat and on each side the floor has been raised about six inches. I think it will be a good spot for a cooler eventually.

As for power, I would like a turbo diesel engine for the fuel economy and reliability. The initial costs are higher but the price of fuel will quickly make it worth while.

Cheers
    cbgimse

Attached Files:

12. patrickgold

patrickgold New Member

our bertram with an outboard

I love having the outboard on our bertram 20. It makes an incredible boat with many advantages. We are able to fit a 95 gallon fuel tank, and we have a lot more room. These are the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. bowroof

bowroof New Member

hardtop

Patrickgold,

Great photos. I''m converting my 20' Bahia Mar to a 225 Honda on a bracket. I love the hardtop and have been looking for photos or drawings so I can do the same. Do you have drawings that you can share. Anyone else?

bowroof

14. Bradical

Bradical New Member

Bertram 20

Hi all, me and my dad are proud new owners of a done up Bertram 20, it has a mercruiser 165 in her. She's great, see the pics attatched and tell me what you think.

Cheers, Bradical.

Attached Files:

15. achris

achris New Member

I have an original Bertram 20 Bahia Mar... I've had it since 1986, it had a 165 Mercruiser... In 94 I replaced it with a 4.3LX V6... Then in 2006 I replaced that with 4.3MPI V6.... Beautiful boats :D

Chris.........

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.