I'm using construction adhesive.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Rivercreekguy, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Rivercreekguy

Rivercreekguy Junior Member

Am building a 10'6" rowboat of what lowes has now instead of lauan. Comes from china looks like birch. Anyway is lapstrake ply Tom Hill method. Using cheap wood as boat is prototype of my design and want to see how it works, will probably tweak the rocker, freeboard, transom width, or whatever. So I know I'm not supposed to build with this wood. Also it's actually more like 3/16 than the 1/4 it is sold as. I've had to baby it somewhat when scarfing, making plank gains, but so far so good. Anyway this is my third build. First I used epoxy, fillers (two types wait, three) fibreglass, measuring pumps etc. Expensive, complicated, nervous making. Next boat I tried Gorilla Glue. Worked fine, the expansion was messy. Saved time and money. Well hated to pay 17 bucks for the 16 oz.(?) so went one aisle over and bought PL Premium construction adhesive. Polyester. 3 bucks and change for a tube, just enough for one side,3 planks. I love this stuff. Comes out of the tube at a perfect thickness About 30 minutes open time at 65 degrees, says will fill a 3/8" gap (though I'd never try that). Anyway this is not an offshore cruiser or something I plan to sell, stake my life on in dangerous conditions,etc. I've just read so many "Don'ts" that maybe didn't always apply, but were stated as gospel.

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Don't build larger than a one person boat. Then it will be only you who is lost. :D

Pericles

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Ask the family to check your insurance policy.

4. Rivercreekguy

Rivercreekguy Junior Member

I'll have to see how these materials perform, boating of any kind is naturally dangerous with any craft if the limitations are not respected etc. I made some test joints with this glue and the wood broke before the joint. I plan to use this in a creek I generally wade to fly fish, it's to get to more spots, higher flows, etc. As I said it's a prototype to check the hull form before I invest in better wood, still I don't imagine I'll see the hull pop apart suddenly. I'm very careful and able with the woodwork which also counts for alot. Anyway if problems show up I'll be the first to let you know. And by the way I take the responsibility of passenger safety very seriously. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

5. charmc

charmc Senior Member

You're taking some reasonable precautions. The only unknown is the effect of submergence on glued joint strength. Of course, that may have some particular relevance in a boat ... :)

6. PAR

Another tip is the lauan you buy from the big box stores usually has very thin exterior veneers, with the bulk of the plywood panel made of cross grain in the single internal veneer. This means it's very weak in it's longitudinal direction and you haven't much material (exterior veneer) for glue to grab or penetrate into. Every so often, you'll find a stack of this 1/4" stuff that has more or less equal thickness veneers and you should snatch it up, as it's much superior to the normal stuff they sell.

7. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

River, all the so called experts will tell you don't use the stuff. If it ain't got pretty pictures of boats on the side of the tube it ain't suitable!! there's only one way to find out - do it, monitor it, use the boat gently and close to safety and keep monitoring! Some of this construction grade stuff is just as good as any marine stuff - some is downright dangerous! Like the use of exterior grade plywood (depends where you use it) which isn't apparantly proof against boiling water!! As 'Pete' (I think it was he) Culler said - "if your going to boil your boat don't use it!!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as you monitor the stuff, don't expect miracles and are sensible you shouldn't have too many problems! No doubt I'll get hell from the experts, but I'm used to that. In the meantime enjoy yourself and above all have fun!!

8. PAR

I'm getting my brushes through a mercantile exchange. They're repackaged so I don't know who the manufacture is. I do know they are polyurethane and they have plastic handles. Most bubbles are caused by too much pressure or moving way too fast with the brush. Tipping off is a very light touch and should be done relatively slowly.

9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Errrr, Paul, I think you want the roll and tip thread with the video of the surfboard?

10. PAR

Damn Charlie, I was wondering where that went. I remember replying to a comment Jerry made, but then noticed it wasn't there the next day. I couldn't remember where I droped it or if I'd even finished the post.

This getting old **** sucks . . .

11. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Tell me about it!!:(

Mike

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.