What boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by AndrewABC, Aug 26, 2017.

1. AndrewABC

AndrewABC New Member

So I'm going to build a boat. Easier to say but harder to do although I've restored two cars, built one and just finished the house we live in albeit I had a main contractor doing a lot of the work - I did a lot of the finishing and landscaping - its a traditional oak frame house too - I have a lot of tools I've had to learn to use.

I need practical projects to be happy and from the cars I know I am happier starting projects from scratch than rebuilding. As I have not sailed much and I need to take some RYA qualifications as I go - we have some RYA schools reasonably close.

I was thinking a trailer day sailing boats of 16 to 20 feet which have stability and comfort and strength way above speed in my list of wants. I am near both the lakes and the sea. I have a bit of a fantasy to potter round bits of the UK South West peninsula for a month or two early summer each year when I retire in five years time - even if I go no further than St Ives Bay.

I can mig weld a bit but I am not really thrilled with the idea of mig or arc welding a whole boat. I've cleared my fairly large garage 25' & 15' of house building stuff so its empty and organised my workshop next door to be neat and tidy. I have a lot of hard standing in front of the garage if I need more space. I am ready to order a really good book on home building a sailing boat. I am also ready to order some study plans. I was quite drawn to the Glen L17. Then I saw a picture of a Cape Dory Typhoon that was very taken by. I quite like the idea of a deep keel as it smacks of more stability even though it is not as easy to get out of the water and I do see the sense of retracting centreboards. I know the Cape Dory Typhoon is a factory built boat from a now closed maker.

Can I ask two questions: what would be the single best book I should buy to act as a reference book as building and reading material before buying. Second is there a plans built boat that has the looks and look of sturdy strength of a Cape Dory Typhoon. I have not ruled out the Glen L17 but each to their own and I like that Typhoon.

Thanks

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

The Glen-L 17 is a basic dayboat, with a modest cabin. Many are built without one, making an open boat. It has stability typical of boats of this general configuration, though wouldn't be considered much more than a fair weather sailor. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a more substantial boat and many designs in this general layout and accommodation are available. It would literally be twice the materials and time to build, compaired to a Glen-L 17, likely much more. You may want to gain some sailing experience first, before choosing a design to build. Your wishes, desires and needs will dramatically change as you gain experence, making what appears reasonable now, seem like a slug after some miles under your keel. Also consider what your primary use will be, not the occasional, maybe someday sort of thing, but what the boat will need to do, most of the time you have it out. This is what the boat should fit the best, not an eventuality that may never occur. Most novices make this mistake, thinking they can have an all encompassing design, where frankly, none really exists.

3. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

That's very good advice.

The designs you are looking at are perhaps a bit small for open water sailing around the SW UK coast. It's a buyers market out there at the moment, why not get yourself a solid used sailboat of 25 to 28 ft which though still very small will be more seaworthy than a twenty ft boat, learn to sail that and get yourself through the RYA. Boat projects often become a binary choice between the project or being on the water and many that choose to build their first boat never get to the water. Since you are close to the lakes, an open boat for lake use could be an excellent choice for a first project and give you the flexibility to work on the project on rainy days or when the sun shines go sailing on your used yacht.

Ian Nicolson wrote a good few books aimed at home builders on small boat design, construction and fit-out which may be interesting to you. Don't be put off by the age of the books, they are well written and just as valid today.
    For boat systems, buy Nigel Calder's "Boat owner's mechanical and electrical manual" it is aimed at 'large' yachts and a lot won't be relevant but the basics are the same.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.