New mould finnish is flat.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by DavyBoy, May 30, 2013.

1. DavyBoy

DavyBoy Junior Member

Hello all from Scotland.

We made a plug from an old salmon clinker coble. we then made a mould from the plug. Then we realized we had made a mistake. The plug never had a high gloss finnish, so the mould never either. We have tried two part paints and a few other things :(. We now have a mould with and single pack paint on it that has been wet and dried. So any one got advice on how to start again from where were at?

It 28 foot. So we really cant go back an make another mould.
    If the worse comes to the worse we will have to make the boat and paint it :(

Cheers guys hoping for a clue.

And if you help me I will tell ya about the 33 pounder we caught. :D

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Here on boat design check out this Boat Design Forums > Collaboration > Projects & Proposals
    fairey hunt 18 fairey hunt 18

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SAVE YOU MOULD HAVE A LOOK AT THE WHOLE SITE IT WILL HELP YOU !!

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

hello there !!

HI
    Did you find what you were looking for ??
    That site I gave is really good as the guy bought a old mould in a sad state and refurbished it and bought it back to being better than a new state . then made a boat from it !! is all the things you are referring to and he has made a really good photographic record of what he's done and progress all the way to a finished boat .
    Keep in touch !! we are all here to help always !! :D:p

4. DavyBoy

DavyBoy Junior Member

5. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

Sand it all down with 220 and shoot new black/orange/red/green tooling gel and sand it out. Wet sand it, non of that dry crap. Take it down to 800-1000 grit, buff and wax. Once you get to 400 you will start to see a shine to it.

6. DavyBoy

DavyBoy Junior Member

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Polycraft has been round since the dawn of time !and I would think everyone in the glassing industry has uses one or some of there products some time during there life !!:D

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You haven't mentioned buffing the boats surface. If you produce a hull with some bits not as shiny as others, I seem to remember that you can buff up the gelcoat, which would be more effective than painting the whole hull.

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

gel coat is just like paint if its dull 1000 wet and dry and buff and polish it !! not a problem !! but if you do sand. then sand the whole thing not just parts of it !!or the shine will never match :(

Mr Watson quote - I seem to remember that you can buff up the gel coat !!! unquote How much glass work have you really done ?? come on mate !!!

10. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

11. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Well, I am the first to suggest it in this thread, not even you mentioned it - and I haven't played with Polyester/ Gelcoat for years, I do epoxy, remember !

13. DavyBoy

DavyBoy Junior Member

14. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Is that the idea, or am i missing something?
    Come on Davy boy you should have spent more time on making sure your plug was up to scratch and done properly ,all this time wasted !!you could have your boat done by now !!

Its doesn't get any simpler than if you make a mould of anything ,the mould will only be as good as the article its made off . so if its crap then crap is your finish on the mould
    I'll be interested to hear about how you intend to make your boat starting from the waxed stage :eek: How about posting some pictures of the plug and the mould so we have a much better idea of what you doing and can help you more during all your stages !! or its like a horny blind man chasing a girl down railway tracks with a train coming !! we never know whats going to happen ??

After doing some search's on the net found a few pictures but not that much . you going to have you work cut out making the boats that's for sure !! clinker building is dynamite to make in glass so you will have lots of fun rolling all those lovely corners from one end to the other . Is best if two people work together and you lay up in smaller widths of glass you will also need to find Microfiber's and make you own bog fillers so find talc and Aerosil or carbosill as well !! after the first layer of glass is rolled 100 % bubble free then do some filling to smooth out a good percentage of those lovely corners to be able to laminate the boat easier and quicker and stronger! , Ask your glass supplier about pre-cut rolls of glass !! see what widths its available in 450mm to 600mm wide woven roving , or double bias . or even better still 90 /45/45 triaxle !!

I used to have a clinker dinghy mould of my own and made over 100 boats out of it before I gave the mould away . Also made a dozen cutters for the sea-scouts that were 18 foot long all clinkers .
    The place I worked had a Norwegian double ender fishing boat that was 30 foot long and only ever made one that was full of bubbles along the whole length of the planked edges and was a complete reject !!
    Going to be fun and a real test of patents and laminating skills !! still would like to see some pictures please !!!!
    You now sparked my interest and passion for making the unusual !!
    What part of Scotland you live in ????

15. DavyBoy

DavyBoy Junior Member

I really thought I would get an answer here. Forget it. its obviously beyond you to give a straight answer. This crap is not that hard. Its not my job but any dunce could do it with a little guidance. Don't be confusing your self with an intellect.
    I will go with what Cobra said.
    Yeah I have time for that

Says tunnels.

Really says Davy. Who's Jock? I also seen you tone towards another poster.

Get a grip man no need for that crap.