new mold

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Sygeor, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Sygeor

Sygeor Junior Member

Hello,

My name is George and now days i built a 9m rib with cabin.

Last month i buy the plywood boat (before the mold) and i'll replace some things and make some changes.

After these changes of course i'll make the mold, so the question is : how many layers (mat) must be put in the mold ? , what other detail it is necessary for the mold ? what polyester is best for this occasion ? Is pvc or coremat correct for this occasion ?

i'll appreciate

Thank you

George

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Hello and welcome to boat design !

9m is a good sized boat , and to make a mould is no easy feat !!
    Can you post a picture or 3 so we can see what you got and get more of I idea of what you talking about !! with a RIB the flange detail to mount the tube on is a critical choice and needs to be well thought out!!
    A mould has a pretty basic way of building , just a few simple things to guard against!! the type of glass used is critical and keep woven or fabrics well back from the surface , Fibre print through is one of the big problems to get a shiny fair smooth surface and if you use any core materials that they to need to be well back away from the surface so they to don't print through and show a up in the mould , sometimes its not seen for a long time till the resin used has had a long time to shrink and cure properly !!.
    thickness is needed to keep it stable so 5 mm core matt is a way of adding thickness quickly during the building plus a good sturdy frame on the outside to hold the mould secure so its wont twist . A 9mtr mould will be advisable to be able to rock from sided to side to make it easier to be able to work comfortably when making the boats !!

Be very careful using foam cores or balsa wood to make the mould strong !!. like I said print of the core pattern showing up in the moulds surface is a major problem and must be careful what you use !
    Lets start with some pictures and as you progress then we'll work on the mould issues !!:p:D:p

3. Sygeor

Sygeor Junior Member

Dear Tunnels,

Thank you very much for your quick answer.
    So these are the photos you need :

4. Sygeor

Sygeor Junior Member

Dear Tunnels,

Thank you very much for your quick answer.
    Please give me your mail to send you the pictures you need.

So i want to know the exactly way to make the mold : how many mats i put , what king of resine , plywood or pvc foam , coremat or not , where i put the nerves of the mold.

Thanks again

George