Storm Shutter Setup

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Pat Ross, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Pat Ross

Pat Ross 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

I am looking for drawings - photos, as well as clear descriptive language on how different boats are setup for installation of Storm Shutters/Storm Boards. There are many threads that discuss their use but I have not found any that show and describe in understandable language how to set a boat up for them.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

If you are inferring storm covers for window and vents then the system Ive always used is flush threaded inserts fastened around the perimeter of the opening and thumb screws to hold a foam gasket ed aluminum plate...thin 6mm ..over the opening. Wood is hard to deal with

The pictured inserts are typical..the one pictured is bedded into the deck to accept a canvas cover to protect the wheelhouse if its dodger is swept clean.

The alloy plate is the engine room intake storm cover.

How many fasteners is determined by the shape and intended strength of each cover.

Attached Files:

3. Pat Ross

Pat Ross 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Excellent, thank you, the flush inserts I gather are available at a chandlery; I checked West Marine for "flush threaded inserts" but no go on their search engine. I could make the panels out of fiberglass, since I have that handy. What do you think?

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

They are custom made. Perhaps you can purchase ? I dont know.

Typical construction detail is a circular ss plate. The plate is countersunk for fastenings, a hole is drilled thru the center, a 6 or 8 mm bolt is passed thru and fastened to an acorn nut on the backside. The acorn nut is then welded on.

The round plate is made by taking a piece of heavy ss bar stock and cutting off " salami " slices . If you bore the holes before slicing the salami your will save great time.

A good machine shop can produce fast. Polishing is the expensive part of ss fabrication. You can do this in your shop

Do some googling or ask around Boatdesign net to find already made hardware.

fabrication depends on the construction detail of your boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.