1975 45hp Chrysler shift is screwy. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Ifelovr, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Ifelovr

Ifelovr Junior Member

Hello, I have been having this problem with my Chrysler motor. It goes into reverse quite easy but when I put into forward gear it stays in neutral. After rocking the throttle back and forth a few times it will then go into fwd gear. I checked the linkage at the throttle and all seems fine. I checked the linkage on the motor and also where the linkage comes apart to take the lower unit off. Last year I replaced all the seals in the lower unit. Another thing I want to mention is that I just checked the gear oil and it is almost black. Since I replaced the seals I might have put 20ish hours on the motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Not familiar with the old Chryslers that much, but it sounds like the shift linkage needs adjusting on your engine. I have had similar issues with another brand in the past.

3. Ifelovr

Ifelovr Junior Member

am i missing a adjustment somewhere? everything i checked was tight.

4. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

I think the black oil is ok. If water was getting in it would be milky in color. I also am not familiar with the old chryslers, but most outboards have a shift shaft that runs down the leg to actuate the gear box in the lower unit. It sounds like when you put the lower unit back on you didn't get the shifting shaft alignment correct. Loosen the clamp on the shifting shaft, make sure the engine and throttle are both in neutral and retighten. Then make sure it shifts correctly. Might have to try a couple times to get it right.

5. Ifelovr

Ifelovr Junior Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.