New low-cost "hardware store" racing class; input on proposed rules

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Petros, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Sailor Alan

Sailor Alan Senior Member

Congratulations on a fine, almost piano like finish. Has anyone commented as they should on this magnificent job.

2. macbeath

macbeath Junior Member

Yes, it's a great looking boat. How is yours progressing? I'd love to see some pix.

3. Dunnage

Dunnage Junior Member

Mac's Boat

Macbeth...

That is a very good looking boat. How did you generate the lines? Do you have some favorite software to help?

It looks to me like it will be challenging to build unless you already have learned and practiced 'traditional boatbuilding skills'. It looks like it can only be realized with some form of planking; perhaps strip planking to keep it as simple as possible. But it escapes me to see how it could be made with a few large sheets of plywood for most of the hull. Is that perception true?

The interior seems very open... lots of room. But the rigging and underwater foils are not described so I cannot see how well that roominess will be preserved. To you envisage a pivoting centerboard, a dagger-board, or lee boards? Do you intend to rig it as a cat-rig... a miniature Nonesuch? The cat rig will keep the openness pretty well. I guess the best foil for staying out of the way of everything would be a pivoting centerboard with a fairly long narrow (high aspect) blade.

Please tell us the rest of the story...

Dunnage

4. macbeath

macbeath Junior Member

I use Delftship, then use the coordinates to do it in Freeship, which will generate the forms. The advantage of doing it in Delftship is that it has some sophisticated software for making sure the panels develop as a section of a cone, so that you can build in plywood. The panels for this one develop with very little stress in them. I would still need to use sufficiently bendy plywood to make the curves, but they won't have a lot of stress in them.

I'm thinking a pivoting centerboard, so that I can shift the clr back when I'm sailing under only the main. It also has advantages for sailing onto a beach.

I was thinking of a set of club 420 sails. If you've read the link, you know that I've also considered building it longer than the class will allow. 14 ft. is a little short for taking a couple of friends out. But I'll probably build to the class length so I can race it.

The thing is, racing is not my highest priority, and with the wide waterline beam, I'm pretty sure my boat would be slower than Richard's. I want a boat that suits my needs when I'm not racing.

I'm thinking a pivoting centerboard.

5. macbeath

macbeath Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.