New low-cost "hardware store" racing class; input on proposed rules

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Petros, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Previous Member

It's not real in the way a Dragon is real, but it's real in this way: we won. :)

2. Sailor Alan

Sailor Alan Senior Member

A generalization, and as such not entirely accurate. I have personally started my engine, assisted another boat, and still placed in the race. This IS alowed under the judges, or in this case, the committee's discretion.

We real sailors will pause, even imperil our place in a race, to give aid to those in peril on the sea.

And yes I will bring maple bars, but you need to be there to collect. Perhaps as a judge, race comitee, or starter.

3. Jammer Six

My lack of experience showing through, no doubt.

I've been present at two disasters on the water, both in races, involved in one personally.

Thirty years ago, we got knocked all the way down in a race out of Three Tree Point Y.C. That was an unmitigated disaster. Crew in the water, lost the spinnaker, lucky no one was injured.

Smooth sailing until last year, when crew on another boat, this time in a race for Sloop Tavern Y.C. got pulled off the foredeck by the spinnaker.

We were running to the downwind mark, we watched from about forty yards off his port quarter. There were two boats very close on his tail, and the boat right behind him let go all his sail and picked the guy out of the water so fast we weren't finished yelling when he was back on (another) deck.

I took pictures, but it happened so fast my pictures only show the guy standing at the top of the swim step on the boat that picked him up.

I've never seen a boat start their engine and remain in the race. I suppose it could happen, I've just never seen it.

With thirty years between incidents, I'll only have to put up with half a dozen more during my lifetime.

I didn't tell these stories other than to make this point: I know that most sailors are human beings first, and that no sane human would leave someone in Puget Sound to stay in a race. I certainly wouldn't. As soon as someone breaks the surface, I don't care about the race.

The other thing I think about late at night is that both incidents involved spinakers and high wind.

4. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

The human power option is a very important part of the rule for producing 'well rounded' boats and the entire point of the rule is to favor the creation of the most useful boat on a very limited budget. Box rules for sailboats tend to favor the biggest boat that will fit in the box. More righting, more sail overcome the greater drag. Human power racing favors efficiency and light weight (to say nothing of better stronger humans). To do both with the same boat is a greater challenge and results in a much more useful boat.

From an event standpoint human power is even more important. Beyond the cost of the fleet there is the cost of the venue and the cost of the sailors time. Needing waterfront facilities, a committee boat or more for safety and many extra days wasted on the calendar or spent drifting is a lot to ask. All to be the best at sailing back and forth a short distance from all that expensive support.

The rule is meant to create boats that can give their crews significant ranges from the greatest number of launch points though a wide range of conditions self supported. The events can be scheduled at a variety of desirable venues with great reliability. There is no question the race will go on, only how and how far. Point to point... coinciding with other events... there are lots of great possibilities to explore.

I don't know why you would drop a good plan for human power. I think the fleet needs to get together and rough out an event plan. Given the size of the fleet each boat could contribute a location or two for consideration.

5. Jammer Six

I think the fleet needs to stop talking, read the rules and start designing.

6. Sailor Alan

This part of the fleet has, and is. How about you and your buddies (from CYC?) help us with support personal?

7. Sailor Alan

Thank you for the advice!!

We have three different boats in design, lines completed, scale (1"/1') models built for two, and full CAD for the other. Full strcutural details, including a schedual of scantlings exist for two boats.

The design review meeting today showed some slight detail needed in all three models, but nothing particually significant. They are really quite different from each other too, though all satisfying the rules. All have human power, as demanded by our State, and incidentally, international dinghy racing rules.

As promised, here is the design of my lifting, breakaway, light weight rudder. Sorry the details are not very clear, CAD from a screen shot.

Attached Files:

8. Sailor Alan

An update. Wood has been purchased, and cut, albeit mostly for experiments.

Here is a preliminary CAD screen shot of my proposal.
    Eventually I plan to carry publicity for a charity of my choice on the hull, to add a bit of color.

Attached Files:

9. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Slime green hull requires extra colour!......;)

10. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a dinghy with twin daggerboards. Apart that is from the great lake scows and some experimental dinghies (like a Peter Milne designed big Fireball)

I am heading north next week, so will be back in the PNW about the 10th - can I come sail it then? Or at least talk about it

Richard Woods

11. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

An interesting design, Alan.

I presume the bottom is flat, at least in section.

It sure is not hurting for SA.

What I don't get is the reason for twin dagger boards. I would think that just one, even if off center, would be better than two for racing purposes.

I would think that the two, side by side, might impede quick maneuvering.

12. JRD

JRD Senior Member

Could be a sneaky canting keep hiding under there too

13. Sailor Alan

First the color. The green is the default CAD color for composite structure on my machine. I couldn't be bothered to change it. Final hull color is TBD. This is also a rather early version, the newer ones have a different deck arrangement.

The twin dagger boards are because the major structure is there, above the chines. They are toe'd in, so lie on the heeled C/L, and only one would be used, swopping to the leeward side.

This is a work in progress, and so subject to change. I am receiving lots of advice from colleagues of course, and much of their advice involves a single dagger board.

Plain sail area is about 110sq/ft, and the 'screecher' adds another 70. This is subject to actual tests, and assumes a typically light weather PNW late summer. The main can be reefed for single handed racing.

Yes, the bottom of the hull is 'flat' laterally, though the actual shape is fairly sophisticated.

I will be back from Kauai (where I am now) early March, so yes Richard, you can visit and we can discuss this at length. I will try to arrange a meet with our entire team, and can pick you up from some waterfront and take you to the meeting. Clearance may be required.

I am leaving for California early April, so I probably will not start building until after that trip.

One of our boats is already 'in build' as it were.

14. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Sounds good! I'll get back to you when we are both back in the PNW

Why not a gybing board instead of two boxes? Or even one with a trim tab

Richard Woods

15. Petros

Petros Senior Member

hi everyone,

I have been away for a while (heavy schedule and stressful family responsibilities with elderly parents).

My how you all have been busy on this thread since my visit last. I spent over an hour and did not even read most of them. Good to see so much interest, I think most of you get the idea and goal of this class quite well.

A few comments: I do not think complexity will be a problem because I think the budget limit will precluded too complex a configuration, as well as the variety of sailing conditions that we hope to present in the different kind of events. I suspect that when you combine complex rigs and low cost materials, the reliability of that combo will limit itself. We can also formulate future rules if successful rigs are so complex that few will build them, but it is hard to imagine that would happen within the current rules. Even if only to bias the number of events that tend to not favor complex rigs. though I think it will interesting to see how it plays out. I hope to see a lot of innovative ways to use low cost materials.

There is no requirement for muscle powering boats in any events, though that may become an option in the raid events if there are no winds for some legs. It should be required that all of the boats have some means of being able to make headway when there is no wind, just for safety sake if nothing else. It would be good to included that as part of the minimum equipment, even if there will never be any plans to force these boats to muscle through some of the legs. I have notices that you greatly compromise the sailing performance if you also have to have good paddling or rowing performance, so that is not what I want to have happen with this class.

I will be looking forward to see what else shows up. I am planning on having something to race as well, but right now I am not even sure if I will have enough time to spare to develop my design. But I will not miss this event no matter if I just throw together a puddle duck. I was planning to premake a hand built wood mast/fabric wing/rig, but that will take longer than building the hull, so I may have to borrow a suitable rig. Anyway, it will be fun to see who shows up with what.

I hope to check in a little more often, but my own schedule has not improved much. This looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.