New jet propulsion system

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guest, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Does anyone have any comments on the new outboard
    diesel jet propulsion unit. www.jetpac.us ??

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

my first impression is that the unit is rather heavy - at 428kgs its significantly heavier than say Mercury's 150hp o/b (193kg). It's a bit lighter as Mercrury 2.8L diesel (150hp) but as it's bolted to the transom (rather than inside the boat) it would have a more significant effect on the LCG

3. Guest

Guest Guest

RE Heavy

what about it being an automotive engine and no prop?

4. Willallison

I only had a very quick look at the site, but I would be very surprised if it isn't marinised properly. Most so-called marine engines are derived from auto (or truck) engines, so I wouldn't see that as a problem.
    As for jet vs. prop - that's a whole topic in itself - depends on the application, budget etc etc etc. But if I was looking for a 150hp diesel engined jet propulsion system, I'd have a look at it, but as I said before - the weight so far aft would definitley be a concern.

5. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

The pack does float it's self rather well. The test ride was impressive.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I am going down to IBEX and than to the Ft. Laud show and
    I will take a ride and let you know. You said its heavy but it is self
    bouyant, and where its mounted evens out the c of g. i will
    give my feed back once I test it

7. Willallison

I take it you've been for a spin then Nomad - what else did you think?

I'm assuming that since it can be fitted to any boat with a deadrise of between 5 & 22 degrees, only a small area (including the pick-up) is in contact with the water when the vessel is on the plane. And, unless it creates enough of its own dynamic lift to remain 75% self-supporting (manufacturers claim) when it's on the plane then the LCG will be affected.

I'm not saying that it's no good or doesn't work - merely expressing my concern at placing so much weight aft of the transom....

8. BVI Jon

BVI Jon Junior Member

Looks interesting, but is it going to possably be limited to boats:

a) with a shallow "V" or less,

or

b) boats that only operate in reasonably calm water.

Jon.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

MUST BE GOOD IT WON THE INNOVATION AWARD AT IBEX 2003

10. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG]
    sure makes me wonder about -outboard- jetdrives again...

11. Guest

Guest Guest

handling

i live in the town where they make these JetPac's and have been out on both their boats fishing. All I can say is the KeyWest 196 is a shallow water fishing machine - its amazing how well it handles at slow speed making finding fish in the shallows a worry free experience. As for the offshore capabilities, the 275 gas JetPac had more than enough power to travel in 3-4 footers off of keywest, but I was not impressed with the ride of the Angler 220, Trims tabs could help that tho. Personally, my next boat will not be prop but a JetPac.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.