New jester class racing proa from Paul Bieker

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Dec 28, 2013.

1. semelis

semelis Junior Member

Not exactly.

After Flying Cloud 1854 record time come an open 60 in 1989, Thurday's Child.
    Then the tris, the very same year, but the actual record is from a cat: Gitana 13 with Lionel Lemonchois and a crew of 9 in 2008 at 43d 3m 18s.

Later (2013) Giovani Soldini set with Maserati a 47d 42m 29s time for crewed monohulls.

Ryan will not be the first to try it single handed, but maybe he'll have better luck than Guy Bernaddin.

A good report on the different attemps here.

2. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

If I remember right Mike Kane attempted that record on his Cross trimaran Crusader but lost his rig off the horn and the boat was abandoned. I thought that the record was subsequently broken by Steve Pettengill on another trimaran, that Ron Holland design, dont remember the name. I may be wrong on that though.

Steve.

3. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Ryan, you mention aluminum wingmast extrusions, im curious as to who sells these in the US today? I have enquired about the Francespars extrusions from Charleston spars but was told they were no longer available so I am interested in any current sources.

Steve.

4. R.Finn

R.Finn Junior Member

Steve, I've looked around quite a bit, and from what I've been told by Selden and US Spars, nobody is making aluminum wing masts in the US. The Corsair gets their masts from outside of the US, I think from these guys www.allyachtspars.com.au/

I will probably use a carbon mast because I can have it built here.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.