electrolisis tester?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by captword, Jan 7, 2007.

1. captword

captword Junior Member

I remodel repair and rebuild boats. I need an electrolisis tester. I dont know if there is an actual instument out there that I can buy, or if i have to build one. Any information would be greatly appreciated

2. TCP Bob

TCP Bob Junior Member

you want a "silver, silver half chloride cell" and a good multimeter. Basicaly, your anodes are meant to reverse the polarity of current that is otherwise generated by immersion in a conductor (sea water for example) of diss-similar metals. But not too much!

Nigal Calder has a good description of the particulars in his book. Many paint suppliers or marine electricians will have one on hand.

The cost for one in australia (several years ago) was about $400 so probably half that in the US.

cheers

3. seabis

seabis New Member

My name is Antony from SeaBis,
    our new product may be what your looking for the SeaBis stray current detector, which detects stray current through the hull/propeller shaft of the boat and when following the detailed troubleshooting directions supplied makes it easy to identify the cause and eliminate it therefore stoping electrolisis and accelerated corrosion. please feel free to visit our website www.seabis.com.au
    Until the end of this month we are offering an introductory offer of Au$395 free shipping worldwide, we can also offer further discount for quantity orders, feel free to contact me for any reason.

kindest regards Antony Timpano.
    info@seabis.com.au
    www.seabis.com.au

4. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Thinking out loud here....Electrolisys is nothing more than stray Current.
    It may be more one time, than at another time.

Why wouldn't a very sensative Digital meter work?

Years ago I experimented with a Galvanometer. Its an expensive Volt meter that measures very small currents.
    The problem with that thing is it needed a seperate power amp to drive the needle of the Meter.

A digital already has that built in and uses less of the current being measured to display the measured current.

Somebody tell us why a good Fluke Digital wouldn't work?

5. Glen Bishop

Glen Bishop Glen Bishop

Eiminate electrolysis

Hi thudpucker,
    I have my own marine electronics company, am 65, and have grappled with this problem for 40 years. The last 15 years with research and developement on 200 vessels with a solution. For technical answeres to your questions see: http://www.seabis.com.au/tips.html and scroll down the page to multimeter and milliamp meter.

Nothing like to truth, backed up with explanations to liven the issue. See also Photographic Proof link on the Home page.

Glen Bishop
    :)

6. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Good answer Glenn,
    I see they held your post for a while to see if you were sincere:p .

I have access to the Hi speed net later on today. I'll look at your link then.

Seabis eh? Good name!

7. Glen Bishop

Glen Bishop Glen Bishop

Stray Current Detector

This system measures for stray current then eliminates the cause.
    www.seabis.com.au
    Glen

8. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

The obvious question is HOW?
    I understand measuring for stray current. I could even imagine a system of opposing a stray current, or draining it to a large Capacitor etc.
    But How does one system eliminate the Cause of the stray current when the source or supply is from another boat or other source in the harbor?

9. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

It doesn't. it just lets you know that it is there, the rest is up to you how you respond to the situation that you have been made aware of.

There are no miracle cures, nor is there a better system, only alternatives, the old silver/silver tester is still the cheapest way to determine the potential of the underwater parts being tested.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.