New idea for a Cruisair water pump motor

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by sdowney717, May 22, 2017.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

My attwood 800 pump, the shaft corroded, seal failed, pump quit. Failed at 2 years.
    So I have this old dishwasher drain pump... I saved from my old Frigidaire dishwasher.
    I tested the pump, it empties a 5 gallon bucket in about 30 seconds.
    This pump has a sealed magnetically driven impeller and ceramic bearings. It is very quiet and actually a very nice pump.
    I sealed the windings, bracket and metal laminations in clear polyurethane.
    Pump has a thermal breaker, my one concern was overheating as no fan comes with pump, so will add a 12vdc computer fan. AC circuit is GFCI-AFCI protected.
    DC fan will get its power from the relay used for the old DC pump.
    Album of pics with pumping video and mockup photo idea.
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=cERGNkg2UFY1RlVjRzZ0dkpEMnllR1Z2dTY0WHBn

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

It works great that dishwasher pump. Totally silent.
    Added a video of it running and some more pics.
    It does get warm, so will add the fan. It ran for 30 minutes without tripping its thermal breaker, but that is with the hatch open and the gen off. Not so hot I could not keep my fingers on the laminations.

If the bracket rusts, I can make one from SS sheet metal. It is coated with clear polyurethane.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.