Should i buy a 1988 redone rybo runner?? 225 honda 4 strokes and tower..

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sidney pecora, Oct 2, 2009.

1. sidney pecora

sidney pecora Junior Member

I have the opportunity to trade a 1966 427 vette that i have had for ten years and is worth 75 thousand for a 1988 rybo runner that from the pics is gorgeous..I am going to go look at her this coming week and see in person.. I know i have to look out for the position of the scupport and also to make sure the transom is done right and ask about the stingers being redone for the armstrong bracket she has 225 hondas which i feel are a little underpowered but i can deal with saving some fuel and he says she cruises at 30 mile per hour..I could wait and sell my car and get a yellowfin or invincible or contender but love the lines on the rybo.. The boat has a full tower and contols and looks flawless fighting yellow color and i wish i had some feed back .The baot is in MASS and like i said is a 1988 redone in 2004.. Please call me if u can helop me or email me.. psychosid225@yahoo.com or 225 328 9790 .I do not want to get stcuk.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you anticipate a substantial investment, you need a professional assessment of it's condition. Personally, in this market, you can get things at half price, so have the boat surveyed.

Would you buy an older house without an inspection? How about an older car without your trusted mechanic looking her over good first? It's the same deal with boats.

3. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

I love boats but that vette will probably continue to gain in value while the boat won't. The upkeep alone will be a tidy sum each month. The car can hang out in the garage under a cover for relatively cheap. It's almost always a buyer's market for boats if you have the dough and are willing to walk away. My .02

4. sidney pecora

I agree

I do have a surveyer going to look her next week if i want him to..The car is going up in value every year and it does just that sit in the garage and i sit inside..LOL I have been fishing my 23 footer down in Venice and am having a ball.I had a26 regulator and it was kinda fun but hard work and a lot of upkeep for sure..The rybo will be staying in the dock which is 200 miles from my house and the most i can make it is realistically every other weekend cause of the work so i might hold off..On the other hand i miss my camp down there and i am 48 and the best times of my life where boiling crabs and getting filthy dirty working on the boat and just being down there to feel the salt and here the seagulls and have to have a excuse to go down there and work on that damn camp that we all hate but would not sell for the world..Its a hard choice for me and i am going to have to think about it. I think the =Rybo is a great boat and the sea trial will be interesting for sure.I guess i could keep the vette till i pass then my sons will sell it and buy a boat..LO

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

At best, you'll buy the boat, have fun, then begin the process of it's ownership, which costs money. The value of the boat will continue to decrease while you are tossing hunks of cash at it, until something happens and you have a major expenditure, which does two things. First it dramatically reduces the value of the boat until it's repaired and two requires you to make the repair before you can enjoy it again, let alone improve it's value.

When it's all counted up, you'll have a net lose, so the ownership of this boat is valued in pleasure for you. Calculate the slip fees, fuel bills and general maintenance fees and ask yourself if you can get this much fun out of it each year.

Offer 55K and stand firm for a week and see how serious the owner is, but honestly the Chevy is an investment that will improve it's position in the market each year. The Rybo isn't special enough a yacht to do the same. The point being if you want a return, then the Chevy is the choice, but if you don't mind tossing half of it's value out the window, as you enjoy the crap out of it over the next 5 years, then go for it.

6. sidney pecora

rybo

Par

You are so right..I had a 37 foot scotticraft and it was alot of work and the b9oat was to old.. I bought a 26 regulator and fished all the time with min break downs and i could bring the baot home and do whatever needed to be done but that was when i was 39 and now i am 48.. the rybo is gonna have to stay in Venice and i live 200 miles from there so i will be a slave to the drive at least 2 times a month min and that is no matter if i fish or not.. The corvette is much to valuable of a asset to throw away..The vette in 5 years will be worth `130 to 150 and the i would have thrown to much hard work away..I am not rich and work 6 days a week just to pay the bills.. I really want the rybo but thought it was a very special yacht with it being a real rybovich the work is not the problem and the up keep its just losing all that money i invested in the car.
    I used to just do it and not care and just live but now i have to think about this,
    Thanks for the advice. I sure love that boat.. I am still gonna take a see trail.. SID

7. sidney pecora

f you don't mind tossing half of it's value out the window, as you enjoy the crap out of it over the next 5 years, then go for it. Man thats so true..

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

An old friend of mine once told me: if you want it and can afford it, it is not expensive.

9. sidney pecora

That is so true. I am going to sea trial her and if i like her i am gonna get her u only live once. I like to fish and feel the gulf breeze in my face..

10. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

I can't argue with that. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.