Taking lines off an existing hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JayOh, Sep 9, 2016.

1. JayOh

JayOh New Member

Hello, I recently came across a thread requesting assistance with the process of taking the lines off an existing hull. A number of the replies were unhelpful and pretty damning of the process. The assumption being that the only reason for lifting the lines from an existing hull would be to steal designs and break copyright.

While I agree that to steal an existing current design in this way is tantamount to stealing, I think it should be made clear that there are many valid, and legal reasons, for taking the lines off an existing hull:

Historical research

Building a replica, or designing a derivative, of a craft which has evolved, as opposed to designed, and where the builder is long dead.

Repair/rebuild of boats where drawings are no longer available.

Reading this thread made me wonder if we, who tend to look at the world from our own environment, are often too quick to judge.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I do not know why you think that getting some forms of an existing boat used to steal a design. Just a fevered mind can think that. There are many reasons for an honest professional, in the exercise of their profesaiĆ³n, need to do this job and you've just exposed some of the least important.

3. JayOh

JayOh New Member

I do not think that but there are a number of people that do oppose the practice of lifting lines from an existing boat.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I am not able to know who are these who oppose to a work that many naval architects must perform to perform some of their calculations.

5. JSL

JSL Senior Member

I have had to lift the Lines off an existing hull - the owner needed some stability work and the boat had been designed by the builder and there was no Lines Plan.
    I have done it manually ( only masochists enjoy it... trust me) but now get a laser scan- fast and accurate.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

7. ruysg

ruysg Junior Member

Here in Brazil there are many boats that were built with no lines plan at all. Builders just eyeball a hull and do it. And then eventually the port authority wants stability calculations. So getting the lines off an existing hull is not that uncommom. I find photogrammetry works pretty well, and is cheaper than laserscaning.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.