Naval architects and designers are a waste of money!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dreamer, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

2. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Sorry guys. This link has made the rounds in other threads too. Maybe someone can close this if necessary.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Is always worth another spectator who was´nt aware of it the first time!

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Nothing wrong with a bit of truthful from the heart posting, but you forgot to include surveyors.

1 person likes this.
  5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

"I can design a boat. How hard could it be . . ."

6. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

To clarify, the title is not mine. It is quoted from the website in the link. Probably should have put quotes around it.

I've been accused more than once of being sarcastic. :p

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's okay Dreamer, we (most of us) are aware of this launch attempt and ongoing saga. It's a classic example of why they pay us the big bucks, which in the total yacht build package, isn't an especially significant figure.

Fortunately, I've never been accused of being sarcastic.

8. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Besides all of us know about this launch and it is much discussed on forums, still some prefer to build boats this way. I am sure this is a medical diagnosis, a kind of mix of greed with self-confidence... Show must go on - we'll see some similar launches soon.

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A well known hull with performance figures available and a hull in operation is the ONLY time I will shell out for someone to advize me build a boat.

I take my hat off to people who can work out a hull shape and get its speed and displacement right first time.

Trying to do this bit on your own could cost you thousands,-- nay hundreds of thousands.

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well teachers.

What do they know about life? Nothing. Where did they gain some knowledge? Nowhere. How do they stand life? Not.

But WE allow such system. Those people come from school, go to the university (school) and back to school.
    They never had a chance to grow up to human standards, to know anything about everyday life. And we allow them to teach our children. We are the stupid!

A old mentor once said:

when you look for advice from outer space, ask a teacher.
    When you look for professional advice from outer space, ask one teaching jurisprudence.

Regards
    Richard

11. Gashmore

Gashmore Junior Member

When I started designing Rutu I read every book I could find on naval architrecture and construction methods. Searched for advice on every forum and news group. Then I went out and hired someone who knew what the hell he was doing. :D

12. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

What I find amazing about this story is the total lack of intuition.

Apparently, the boat they started with was just fine. Then they 'improved' it by lengthening, adding superstructure, etc. Honestly, I don't think it would take much of a leap to say "okay, the boat floats now, what would happen if we added another 5 tons or so?" Wouldn't take an NA to come up to the initial conclusion that more analysis is needed.

I'm currently working on my first designed-by-me vessel. However, the list of professionals whom I'm leaning on is fairly substantial and I still don't feel comfortable enough to say that she's well found. If the boat ever advanced beyond my wildest dreams and into production, you can bet I'd have a few dozen qualified eyes looking at it before the first disposable paint brush is purchased.

As it stands, this boat is a learning exercise. Who knows, as one of the guys I'm working with said, "after all this work, you may be qualified to design the settee cushions."

13. Alik

Alik Senior Member

We have one 'boatbuilder' here who promised his customer that he can make a 60-footer from second-hand 39 foot FRP hull. The speed promised was 50-60kts (besides original hull was semi-displacement). So, the hull was split in CL and extended... The work is in progress. We all wait to see what will happen, if it will happen :)

One should be an idiot to belive in such promises!

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

This one was lengthened from 27m to 43m. The entire superstructure is made of chipboard! The stability is sufficient when the bunkers are full and the pond is flat.
    She will capsize with more than 20 people on one side of the upper deck.
    The owner managed to get a 175 person license for it. (there are lifevests for 70 on board)

Questions?

http://www.yatmatilda.com/

15. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

wow. So it goes on more than we'd like to think, I guess.

stretching shouldn't be a problem if done properly I suppose. In the case of the 'yacht' in this thread, there was no consideration for the weight of the superstructure and no adjustment of the waterline. Mother nature took care of the waterline adjustment for them.

For those following the thread, they attempt to fix this by weldings on sponsons. As it stands now, it looks as though they've come to the end of their rope. It's very much winter now there. They built an enclosure around the welding area with the intention of continuing work. Doesn't look like anything's happened for weeks. I'd be surprised if they get any farther along than this. I feel sorry for the guy who's writing the story. He's the one who will have to look at that eyesore every time he comes to his boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.