New guy, rookie question.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by mojodad, Feb 13, 2013.

1. mojodad

mojodad Junior Member

Hi guys. I'm a 1st time boat builder with minimal woodworking experience. I'm about to start Michalak's Piragua. It's a 13' long plywood and epoxy boat. My question is, Michalak suggests only glassing the chines and using an epoxy fillet on the seams to keep it cheap and simple. I've never used epoxy before so how much would I need? Do I need a whole gallon or could I get away with just a pint or a quart of the stuff? They don't have gallons at the local hardware store and the stuff is pretty expensive so I don't want to buy more then I need. Thanks.

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

A quart will leave you some extra and you wont run out.

3. mojodad

mojodad Junior Member

Thanks

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

You're welcome.

Study up on how to use epoxy.

Proportioning and mixing are critical.

What brand are you considering purchasing.

5. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I think you'll need at least two-three quarts and that means buying a gallon plus a quart of hardener. It's much cheaper to buy a gallon than four quarts.
    You'll need a filler too and maybe a couple of different fillers. Get the book from the Gougeon brothers as a reference to using West System epoxy products. All available from Hamilton Marine in Portland Maine,

7. mojodad

mojodad Junior Member

I'm not sure on brand yet. I guess whatever I can find in town. Preferably the cheaper stuff. It's my 1st boat so I'm not looking to go top shelf the 1st time around.

Thanks for the links.

8. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

Hi Mojodad,

welcome.
    my boat is 13 feet,
    and this is basically what I used.
    (I also used filler)

epoxy system.jpg

9. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

For a first timer I think west system with the pumps is very handy to work with plus it is tried and tested in the marine environment unlike some of the cheeper ones around they also have a great website full of info http://www.westsystem.com/ss/ and lots of videos on youtube. You will be surprised at how much you will use so no harm in buying a bit extra, you will find all sorts of uses for it once you get going:)

10. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Mojodad,

The first time you get the mix ratio wrong and have to scrape off what you just finished, you will wish you used the pumps (as far as I know they only come with West and System 3 and they are worth the cost). You have to have the right pumps to match your epoxy, there are different mix ratios.
    West system is available at Rockler (a wood workers specialty store or West Marine) I think the cost is the same everywhere.
    System 3 is available at Woodcrafters (another wood workers specialty store)
    You are also going to need stirring sticks, "chip" brushes (cheapest you can get), mixing cups (I use plastic tubs like you get from a bagel store for the toppings), plastic exam gloves, scrapers/ squeeges, masking tape, probably wax paper (depending on what you do), glass cloth/ or tape (2-3" wide), and fillers to thicken and strengthen the epoxy.
    Are you going to paint the boat? This is best for a first time build. Less work and cost.

The Gougeon book is available as a free download at their website, sorry I don't have the link at work.

Have fun and don't worry too much. If you don't rebuild something at least once you will be a lucky or good dude.

11. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

Just "Ditto" on upchurchmr and sean-nos,

the pumps are a definate plus,
    cleaner and easier for sure.

It came as a kit when I ordered them.
    (the 3 mixes and pumps.)
    the filler and cloth were separate.

I used marine plywood for my build and used exterior
    house paint when I painted my boat.
    which has been holding up very well.

DE

12. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

The pumps aren't as reliable as they could be. Do yourself a favor and buy an accurate digital kitchen style scale that measures in grams.

13. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

I found the pumps to work very well with no problems.
    pump into a red solo cup, mix with tougue depressor and tada!
    ready to go.

I'm curous how you would use a scale?

14. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

My last experience with the pumps was unsatisfactory. I will no longer trust them.
    Place the mixing cup on the scale and turn it on, it will account for the weight of the cup and start at 0. Add, for instance, 12 grams epoxy then 6 grams hardener and mix away with confidence.

15. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You can make a very accurate any-volume 5:1 (in the case of the typical west System mix ratio) measuring rig by cutting out three right triangles of 1/4" plywood that are about 6" on the two right angle sides.
    Then cut two widths of any wood about 3/4" thick. A handy set of widths would be 1" wide and 5" wide. You will be creating two side by side troughs. One will be for resin, the other for hardener. The 1" and 5" wide bottoms are made from the ripped wood.
    The ripped wood is sandwiched between the plywood triangles. There are a total of 4 pieces of two widths of wood making bottoms for two troughs. Glue it together first and then add some nails if you like.
    It's handy to have a base so the inverted triangle troughs can be set down on a table. Just a simple 2x4 block with a vee cut in it will do. Glue that on the bottom.
    Now you can measure same-to-same, meaning any quantity whatsoever, viewing from the top to ensure the two levels are the same. If in doubt make a forked stick that can straddle the middle divider and dip it in until its "feet" are both touching at the same height. Add to one or the other to correct.
    It would be nice if they sold these in clear poly but I've never seen them. You can't ever mis-measure as can happen with pumps (they sometimes just fart and some comes out but you don't know how much).
    Just pour the two quantities into a wide enough pan and mix. Use a putty knife to clean the troughs out because you want to use the device again and again. Clean with a rag on a stick and acetone.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.