New guy here - Looking for a little insight

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by John L., Nov 13, 2015.

1. John L.

John L. New Member

Hello everyone,

My name is John and I live here in Virginia Beach. I retired from the Navy some years ago and stayed in the area because I love being near the water. I currently own a 26' Islander sailboat that I am selling to a friend. My son and grand kids have been after me to get a boat that they can have easier access to, because the Islander is tied up on a Navy base.

I am looking at building a skiff in the 16'-17' range that can be powered economically. (20-25 HP or lower). I'm not looking for speed, just a nice practical boat to take the grand kids out for a little crabbing, fishing, and exploring. My son and I will be taking it out on the bay on calm days and evenings during Striper (bay) season.

I have looked at a few designs including the Lumberyard Skiff, and a few of the Spira designs. Building the boat is well within my skill set. I have plenty of experience with woodworking, carpentry, fiberglass, and basic DC current.

I can go either way with a tiller or center console, as they both have their Pro's & cons. The electrical system will be kept fairly simple, with running lights and a couple plug in's for fish finder, and a live well.

The only "must have" is a design with plenty of flotation while keeping as much free space as possible.........if that makes any sense.

I would appreciate any ideas & feedback from you who have experience building boats like this.

Have a great day everyone & be safe.

John

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is 17', very simple to build, very tough, needs not much power and enough floatation to hold you, guests and the equipment afloat, even if filled with water.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.