Classic Fuel efficient fiberglass ~21 ft walk around

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Tinklespout, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Tinklespout

Tinklespout Junior Member

Hi Y'all,
    I see some great discussions here on fuel efficiency. 23 to 25 foot planing boats being driven with 25 hp motors, over 10mpg, amazing!. Unfortunately most are unique designs of plywood composite. I have tried to follow all of the discussions in a search for an old production, project boat that I can run 40 miles out into the gulf and back through the chop of Charlotte Harbor. it would be just me, probably one other person, very good weather, and likely very little extra weight from the fish we caught.
    The Tolman skiff widebody is an example of what i would likely need but I want fiberglass or aluminum.
    I know that the fiberglass weight factors heavily into the equation and that fuel economy was traded off for comfort in the 60's to 1990's but didn't one super efficient fiberglass hull slip through the cracks into major production?
    My plan has been to find an old CC fiberglass hull, remove as much weight as possible (maybe even composite stringers but I don't really want to go that deep into restoration), put on a new four stroke outboard or nice little overhauled diesel and get great gas mileage. Is this a pipe dream?

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

A used Panga

or used Caribiana.

Neither goes with a 25hp. Both are seaworthy and low power , 40hp, boats

[​IMG]

3. Tinklespout

Yes!, They're perfect and I wish I could find one. This is perfect example of my dilema; rare since they weren't made here and is there anything even close to this that was mass produced in the US? I realize that it wouldn't be exactly the same but close enough to deliver even similar capabilities. Probably not that the yamaha designers of the Panga were superior, we just didn't care about economy?
    Anything even close produced in the US?

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Caribiana is made in texas I believe. Look for used ones. People get tired of their toys.

5. Tinklespout

Thanks. I'll keep searching for Pangas.
    The last thing I want to do is ask y'all to do my work for me. I can search for boats with similar specifications if I know what to look for. Can you help me with the search criteria:

Length: 20 to 24
    Beam: 7 feet or less
    Type: V-hull, hard chined, flat delta pad
    Dead rise: 4 degrees with flat pad in center (got be something better than this)
    Other specs?

P.s. I know the Caribiana is soft chined, almost round at the transom. I assume this softens the ride but it seems that it would reduce efficiency.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

6. Tinklespout

Is there a searchable database or spreadsheet somewhere on the web that has hull design specifications for production boats?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.