how to build a cradle for a tri hull boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bigbearfireman, Mar 20, 2006.

1. bigbearfireman

bigbearfireman New Member

hi guys this is my first post here and would like to tak this oppurtunity to say this is a great website for of usefull information. :D Know for the ?? at hand.

I was wonder if i need to build a cradle for a 16 foot 1972 trihull,Common sense tells me too ,but was wondering. How would i go about building one for a trihull boat. :?: Cause i need to replace the flooring and the stringers and maybe the transom area too. I would like to thank you all for your advice in advance:D

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

my cradle just saved my butt yesterday,I have a 10,000 lb sailboat ,I was jaking it up to put on a trailor ,had her at 36inchs and she shifted and fell to the ground , the first bounce was ok but the second one put her off the chin. put a hole in the hull ,nothing I cant fix ,but still a close one. if your gonna put her on a cradle ,,,overbuild it ,make it very strong,had the cradle gave it would have crushed my house , and that would have made momma very maddd...oh yea keep it close to the ground. Im gonna keep it at 20 inches and dig a ditch to acommadate the trailor,and remove the ballast before any movement.live and learn