hull design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jorgepease, Feb 1, 2016.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Hi, given a simple craft, lets say a platform such as for a house boat but without the weight, 35-40' length say 12-14' beam. Should draft less than 16" (including outboard/s) so incorporate tunnel or ?? ... cruise speed 10-15 kts top speed say at most 20 kts. The deck should sit low to the water, the sides are rails. Could be a cat design.

priorities are economical, stable and shallow draft for mostly-protected waters.

Is there a ballpark for what such a hull would cost to design, just the hull. construction would be infused sandwich foam core since that's what I know.

I don't want to give details at the moment on the actual application but I would provide those later, I just need a ballpark figure to design just a hull that would do the above, so I can complete my business analysis. Lets say total weight the hull would support besides itself and motors would be dead load: 2000 lbs live load up to 2000 lbs. maybe add another 1000 lbs to be safe.

Can you give a ballpark with such little info?

Thanks for any help

Jorge

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

t will be nigh impossible to build a structurally sound boat of that size to weigh as little as 2000 pounds.

A houseboat like vessel of that size and the realistic weight which will be much more than you have suggested, will need a ton of power to make 15 to 20 knots. Of course the extra capacity power plant will also add to the overall weight, cost of operation, and installation..........the progression goes on.

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

total hull weight - Besides itself and Motors ...

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Agreed, it will be all but impossible to build a 35' hull at that weight target, even if using carbon fiber.

Using your smallest dimensions a 35'x12' box that draws 12", will displace in the 12 ton (long) range. Given your lack of basic volumetric understanding, in this regard, you'd be best advised to have a set of plans made up or purchase a set of plans, maybe something you can modify to suit your needs. I mean no disrespect, but your figures are so far off, that self designing something like this just isn't reasonable, if a successful outcome is desired.

Do a rough weight estimate, say of a 35'x8' tall wall, using the building materials you intend to employ. This will give you an idea of the house weight, once you multiply by the total wall length you need. The same can be done for the roof, the hull, literally everything and this is exactly what a designer does. We're not gifted magicians, that can somehow come up with light, strong, well suited structures. Oh hell no, we have to do the math, tediously adding things up and spread them around the hull, so it'll float level and preferably with the decks facing up on launch day.

Lastly, how much power do you think you'll need to push a 12 ton 35' vessel to 20 knots (23 MPH)? Start with 500 HP and hope for the best. Reality is, the hull will need to be well shaped, much more so than a typical houseboat, to come anywhere close to 20 knots. Most 35' houseboats, something I have a good amount of experience with BTW, are usually lucky to see 10 knots, but most often are simply grateful to see 7 knots.

5. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

LOL, You guys misunderstood, read my first post, a platform LIKE what a house boat would sit on but without the weight. And then I never set a target weight, I specified how much it would carry, 5000 lbs.

Also the question was how much to design, Ballpark, I don't want to design myself. ))

Forget I asked, got my question answered elsewhere.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.